Alexander Rossi fears for the future of the United States Grand Prix at the Circuit of the Americas.

A reduction in funding from the State of Texas this year has left the race organisers struggling to keep the grand prix in Austin viable after four editions. While the round remains on the 2016 calendar, it is currently marked as subject to agreement with the promoter, and Rossi told F1i the signs are not good.

“It doesn’t look great, does it?” Rossi said. “Which is obviously the last thing that I want to see because I think having the race there since 2012 has raised the profile massively in the States. Not only do people love going there for the race, all of Formula One loves the race, so it would be a massive loss.

“I hope there’s something that can be resolved. We have quite a bit of time before October or November next year so fingers crossed but at the moment I’d say it doesn’t look great.”

Asked if the race in Austin had been crucial in raising his own profile as a driver in America, Rossi replied: “Yes and no.

“I think it has raised the profile of Formula One in the States but having said that the profile of Formula One is very much about the guys at the front. So it’s made a small difference but I wouldn’t say it has been a make or break type of thing.

“I think me being in the car has been very strong and I think me being in the car even in the race in Singapore for example would raise the profile. So I don't think it has to be there as much as an American needs to be in a car but having said that I would be pretty heartbroken if we didn’t get to go and race back in the States.”

Romain Grosjean exclusive: From Lotus to Haas

Haas could surprise a few people - Grosjean

Use the red tabs on either side of the screen to scroll through more Formula One news and features

Click here for a gallery of the McLaren MP4-X

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Dutch GP red-flagged as Verstappen crashes heavily

Max Verstappen will have delivered a memorable final display to his fans in the Dutch…

2 hours ago

The passing on August 23 of two great racers

Their paths intertwined but as determined racers, Guy Ligier and Didier Pironi took very different…

3 hours ago

Relaxed Russell insists ‘the pressure is off’ in title fight-back

George Russell may have a 56-point mountain to climb if he is to overhaul Mercedes…

3 hours ago

Hamilton confident of holding on to ‘guys up ahead’ in Dutch GP

Lewis Hamilton qualified only fifth at Zandvoort, but the Ferrari driver concluded Saturday with a…

5 hours ago

Zandvoort Speed Trap: Who is the fastest of them all?

Sunday morning has arrived at Zandvoort, and preparations – mechanical and tactical – are at…

6 hours ago

Honda engine ‘lottery’ leaves Aston Martin drivers nowhere

Aston Martin arrived at Zandvoort with Honda’s promising new power unit bolted to the back…

7 hours ago