F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Mercedes reportedly set to pull out of Formula E

Mercedes has reportedly opted to pull out of Formula E, with a decision set to be announced in the coming week.

According to website Motorsport.com, the German manufacturer is expected to follow Audi and BMW out the door of motorsport's all-electric sorties.

Earlier this year, Mercedes had requested clarification from FE over "important details regarding the structure of the series", having signed a conditional option to compete in the championship from 2022 when the series will introduce its Gen3 car and rules.

Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff has confirmed that a decision by the Daimler board has been reached and FE's management has been informed of the manufacturer's course of action.

"If Mercedes were to leave, which we haven't said, then, of course, you need to work on alternative strategies," Wolff told Motorsport.com.

"We are in the sport not only because we guys like to compete and drive around in circles. But it is mainly a marketing and communications platform.

"And therefore, like everything we do, is under constant evaluation in terms of the benefits that any platform is able to generate for Mercedes-Benz.

"Apart from the let's say marketing value that it generates, it is about technology transfer and these two need to go hand in hand: technology and marketing.

"This is why everything is permanently evaluated and is this really still contributing to where we see the brand?"

Mercedes' decision – if confirmed – would come as a relative surprise given the constructor's shift to electrification and also given its interest in committing to FE's next generation car and regulations that will launch at the outset of the 2022/23 season.

Wolff alluded to Mercedes-EQ possibly retaining a link with the series through the efforts of a private team running the manufacturer's powertrain.

"We have a team that is fully functional, that we can be proud of in a series that is good fun," added Wolff.

"We have also a certain degree of responsibility towards the team and the series."

Formula E's 2020/21 campaign will conclude this afternoon in Berlin with the 15th and final round of Season 7, which Mercedes' Stofgfel Vanddorne will start from pole position, with teammate and championship leader Nyck de Vries lining up P13.

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Hamilton confident of holding on to ‘guys up ahead’ in Dutch GP

Lewis Hamilton qualified only fifth at Zandvoort, but the Ferrari driver concluded Saturday with a…

59 minutes ago

Zandvoort Speed Trap: Who is the fastest of them all?

Sunday morning has arrived at Zandvoort, and preparations – mechanical and tactical – are at…

2 hours ago

Honda engine ‘lottery’ leaves Aston Martin drivers nowhere

Aston Martin arrived at Zandvoort with Honda’s promising new power unit bolted to the back…

3 hours ago

Verstappen struggling with both health and car for Zandvoort finale

Max Verstappen admitted after qualifying at Zandvoort that he has been feeling under the weather…

4 hours ago

Dutch GP: Saturday's action in pictures

Lando Norris delivered a strong performance in Saturday’s qualifying at Zandvoort, the McLaren heading the…

18 hours ago

Leclerc insists Ferrari ‘have got to work’ on SF-26’s qualifying pace

Charles Leclerc has no complaints about Ferrari’s race-day strength. The problem is getting the SF-25…

18 hours ago