F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Giovinazzi: 'I will be professional these last few races'

Departing Alfa Romeo driver Antonio Giovinazzi vows to remain professional during his final three races with the Swiss outfit.

Alfa confirmed earlier this week the Italian driver's exit after three seasons with the Hinwil squad and his replacement by China rookie Guanyu Zhou.

The news incited Giovinazzi to post a message on social media in which he suggested that Alfa, by choosing Zhou, had opted for money over talent, a comment that did not go down well with team boss Frederic Vasseur.

Speaking on the This Week with Will Buxton podcast, Vasseur urged his driver to uphold a professional attitude during the final three races of the 2021 season, which the Italian has committed to do.

"I think I have been professional in these last few years, and I will be professional these last few races," Giovinazzi told the media on Thursday in Qatar.

"So, nothing to add, to be honest. With myself I'm happy, and I think I feel that I've been professional in these last few years and will be in the last three races."

Giovinazzi has announced that he will join the Formula E grid next season with Dragon, but the 27-year-old hopes to keep a foot in F1's door, mainly through his affiliation with Ferrari which has also put a Hypercar program on its rails at Maranello.

"About Hypercar, they will go on in 2023, so there is no news yet about this," he commented. "But so far what I know that I will do FE, and it's a great championship, I will enjoy that.

"Plus we are trying to stay here as well, like a third driver in Ferrari. And see what what will happen in 2022.

"For sure [WEC] is one championship that I would like to join. But it is too early to know and to decide."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Russell's cheeky 'engagement' joke after Zandvoort sprint pole

Dutch Grand Prix Sprint poleman George Russell returned from Formula 1’s summer break with a…

8 hours ago

Alonso singles out new Honda power unit for Sprint Qualifying miss

Fernando Alonso arrived at Zandvoort hoping Honda’s much-anticipated new power unit would help Aston Martin…

9 hours ago

Antonelli says early off compromised Sprint qualifying pace

Kimi Antonelli emerged from Friday’s Sprint qualifying only 0.227 seconds off Mercedes team-mate George Russell’s…

9 hours ago

Dutch GP: Friday's action in pictures

Mercedes stole a march on its rivals along the shores of the North Sea on…

10 hours ago

Dutch GP: Russell snatches pole for Zandvoort Sprint

George Russell produced a late surge to claim pole position for Saturday’s Dutch Grand Prix…

11 hours ago

Dutch Grand Prix - Sprint qualifying results

Full results from Sprint qualifying for the Dutch Grand Prix in Zandvoort, round 12 of…

11 hours ago