F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Ricciardo insists he has no regrets about leaving Red Bull

Daniel Ricciardo says he has no regrets about his decision to leave Red Bull Racing at the end of 2018, despite having to stand and watch his former team mate Max Verstappen clinch the world championship last year.

Although he made his Formula 1 debut with HRT in 2011, Ricciardo spent most of his early career as part of the Red Bull family, with his first two years spent at Toro Rosso leading to promotion to the senior team in 2014.

Initially racing alongside four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel and then Daniil Kvyat, Ricciardo found himself increasingly at odds with Verstappen who joined the line-up in 2015 and rapidly became the focus of the team's plans.

Ricciardo signed for two years at Renault in 2019 and last season joined McLaren, picking up his first race win at Monza for the first time since he was victorious in Monaco with Red Bull in 2018.

Meanwhile Verstappen had an electrifying season with ten race wins on his way to successfully pipping Lewis Hamilton to the 2021 world championship. But Ricciardo says that he doesn't regret his decision to leave the team when he did.

"Honestly, no," he told the media at the launch of the new McLaren MCL36 on Friday at the team's headquarters in Woking.

"I don't want to say it like, 'No, I don't', like snappy and disrespectful to Red Bull, because they gave me a lot in my career," he continued. "They really made a lot of this possible for me.

"I was there for five years, but I felt like I did reach a little bit of a point where I really felt like I personally needed something fresh.

"If I was still there maybe I wouldn't have even been close to fighting for a title, you just don't know," he pointed out.

"Of course, 2021 they won the driver's title but, if I would have gone another year - 2019, 2020 and then '21 - I'm not sure if I would have been a better version of myself.

"I needed a bit of a change, and for sure there's been some struggles through that change," he said. "But honestly, I don't regret those changes I've been through, or the move I made at the time.

"That's all a part of the sport, and obviously learning more about yourself and growing up, but I've had no 'what could have been?' [thoughts] when I saw Max win the title last year.

"None of those 'poor me' feelings. If anything I was happy for them to get back to the top," he insisted. "If it can't be me then I'm happy for it to be them!"

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

22 minutes ago

One Ferrari driver's dream that turned into a nightmare

On this day in 2009, Luca Badoer was named as Felipe Massa's replacement by Ferrari,…

1 hour ago

Coulthard predicts permanent F1 farewell for Zandvoort

Former F1 driver and commentator David Coulthard shared his perspective on why Zandvoort has most…

2 hours ago

McLaren unleash another MCL40 upgrade blitz at Dutch GP

McLaren heads into the Dutch Grand Prix with momentum firmly on its side, and the…

3 hours ago

Verstappen settles F1 future, extends Red Bull deal until 2030!

Max Verstappen has finally put to rest the speculation surrounding his Red Bull future, committing…

5 hours ago

FIA sets date for McLaren and Red Bull’s Monaco appeal

McLaren and Red Bull will finally get their chance to challenge the FIA’s controversial decision…

6 hours ago