F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Ferrari: No team orders – drivers 'free to fight'

Ferrari says its too early in the season to resort to team orders despite Charles Leclerc's comfortable lead in the Drivers' championship over teammate Carlos Sainz.

The Ferrari/Leclerc combo has emerged as the class of the field, winning two of the first three races of the season.

While the title battle is in its early days, Ferrari and Leclerc are already seen as the prime contenders in their respective championships.

But Scuderia boss Mattia Binotto see no reason for Ferrari to intervene and protect the Monegasque's position at the head of the field.

"It's only three races which have been done now," said Binotto. "There are still 20 races left, hopefully 19 or 20. So the championship is still very long.

"Our drivers are free to fight, and I am really looking forward and enjoying that they are battling for a good place, and first place, if possible."

 

Although Ferrari has benefitted from the misfortune that has struck Red Bull and Max Verstappen in Bahrain and in Melbourne, there is no denying the strength of the Italian outfit's F1-75 package which so far has performed well on a diverse set of tracks and conditions.

"It is a very strong car for sure," said Leclerc. "I think until now it's fitting my driving well. I understood the car very early in the season and I think that is helping me for now.

"This has been a good surprise. But yeah, we need to keep pushing obviously. For now, it's going extremely well."

Ferrari heads to its home race at Imola with limited updates in its bag for its F1-75, as Binotto believes the event's Sprint race format is not conducive to adding major new parts.

"I think it will be a difficult weekend in respect of bringing updates and trying to evaluate them in the Friday practice, because you need obviously to focus yourself on the quali of the afternoon," said the Ferrari boss.

"If we will look at ourselves, there will not be much in Imola because again, we believe it will not be the right place.

"But we will try to mitigate the issues we have got still so far. I'm thinking of the porpoising and the bouncing that has affected our performance over the weekend.

"So we again try to work on that specific point. But, for the upgrades and more, let me say significant ones, it will be for later on in the season."

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Piastri warns of energy ‘abnormalities’ at certain F1 circuits

The 2026 Formula 1 revolution is no longer theory — it’s a looming test of…

1 hour ago

A legend who is still in everyone's heart

The great Niki Lauda would have celebrated his 77th birthday on this day, so it's…

3 hours ago

Hot mess: Tsunoda’s San Francisco demo goes up in smoke

Talk about a "burning" desire to get back on the grid. Yuki Tsunoda’s first appearance…

4 hours ago

Newey reportedly laid bare Honda engine crisis in F1 meeting

Adrian Newey’s vision for an Aston Martin dynasty is facing a brutal reality check as…

4 hours ago

Team Talk: F1's final week of pre-season testing in Bahrain

Aston Martin – 128 laps Mike Krack, Chief Trackside Officer “We have concluded our test…

6 hours ago

Hamilton re-set and refreshed: ‘For a moment, I forgot who I was’

Lewis Hamilton has drawn a bold line under last season’s frustrations, declaring himself “re-set and…

7 hours ago