F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Gasly summoned for red flag speeding during recovery vehicle incident!

Pierre Gasly has been called to the stewards' office for speeding under the red flag in Sunday's interrupted Japanese Grand Prix.

The race was neutralized behind the safety car after a single and then red flagged due to heavy rain and dangerous conditions.

Gasly had pitted after the opening lap after hitting an advertising board that had become loose following a spin and contact by Ferrari's Carlos Sainz and which had damaged the AlphaTauri's front wing.

As Gasly headed back out on the track, the red flag was deployed but the Frenchman pressed on to catch the field, passing at one point a flatbed recovery truck running on the side of the track.

The site of the truck infuriated Gasly: “What the?? What the?? What is this tractor?? What is this tractor on track?” said Gasly over team radio.

“I passed next to it… This is unacceptable. What just happened? I can’t believe this.”

However, the stewards' interest was not the dangerous presence of the recovery vehicle on the racing line but Gasly's speed.

“Car 10 reached speeds of up to 250km/h [155mph] when completing the lap under the red flag after passing the scene of the incident,” said the document that summoned Gasly.

The stewards' statement suggested that Gasly's speeding relates to the remainder of the lap once he had passed the incident site.

In a statement to the media, the FIA later said: “In relation to the recovery of the incident on lap three, the safety car had been deployed and the race neutralized.

“Car 10 [Gasly], which had collected damage and pitted behind the safety car, was then driving at high speed to catch up to the field.

“As conditions were deteriorating, the red flag was shown before car 10 passed the location of the incident where it had been damaged the previous lap.”

The incident obviously recalled the dramatic events that took place at Suzuka in 2014 and which led to the death of Jules Bianchi who had slid off the track and hit a recovery vehicle working at a corner covered by double yellow flags.

Like Gasly, McLaren's Lando Norris deemed the the recovery vehicle's presence "unacceptable".

The FIA's attempt to focus blame on Gasly rather on the timing of sending a recovery vehicle out on track won't go down well with competitors.

However, it's also possible that in this case both parties could be at fault.

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Michael Delaney

Recent Posts

Stella names rivals ‘a step ahead’ of McLaren after Bahrain

McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…

15 hours ago

Hulkenberg says Audi’s rivals haven't 'pulled their pants down' yet

Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…

17 hours ago

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

19 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

20 hours ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

21 hours ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

22 hours ago