Red Bull will drop drivers who don’t deliver - Marko

Red Bull motorsport advisor Helmut Marko warns that the energy drinks giants will simply let go any of its driver “who is not delivering”.

With Daniel Ricciardo and Daniil Kvyat contracted with Red Bull Racing and Max Verstappen and Carlos Sainz returning for a second campaign at Toro Rosso, the Austrian company has four talented drivers on its 2016 roster.

Having overseen the Red Bull juniors for many years, Marko has never shied away from cutting ties with former protégés after they had not met specific targets set out for them.

“We basically have long-term contracts at the Red Bull junior program and the whole program is based on performance,” the 73-year-old told the official F1 website in a wide-ranging interview. “So no shoot-out, but be very clear: the one who is not delivering goes.”

Marko’s ruthless management style was evident last year when new Red Bull Racing recruit Kvyat came under fire after a tough first few races following his fast-tracked promotion from Toro Rosso.

With Verstappen showing so much promise in his rookie season, the 18-year-old could be knocking on the door of the parent team as early as 2017. Asked about the Dutch prodigy potentially moving to Milton Keynes in the near future, Marko was quick to urge caution.

“Let’s see what he delivers. The second season is sometimes trickier than the first!”

In the junior series, Red Bull backs GP2 Series frontrunner Pierre Gasly, FIA European Formula 3 hopefuls Sérgio Sette Câmara and Niko Kari, as well as MSA Formula graduate Luis Leeds.

INTERVIEW: Max Verstappen: The man in demand

Exclusive Q&A with Honda's Yusuke Hasegawa

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Julien Billiotte

Recent Posts

Aston Martin F1 sells minor stake to billionaire Woody Johnson

Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…

44 minutes ago

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

2 hours ago

Gasly praises Verstappen’s manager for achieving ‘nice pay rise’

Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…

2 hours ago

Russell says Mercedes seat ‘never under threat’ by Verstappen

George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…

3 hours ago

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1 team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

4 hours ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

6 hours ago