Jolyon Palmer is brimming with optimism as he looks ahead to his first Formula One Grand Prix race in just under a week in Albert Park, Melbourne.

The 25-year-old Briton spent a year as Lotus F1's test and development driver during a troubled 2015, which including several appearances for Palmer in Free Practice 1 sessions. With the team's takeover by Renault now complete, he's confident that the newly rebranded squad has turned the page and has a bright future ahead of it.

"I am really looking forward to Friday when the 22 cars are out on track, pounding round," he said.

"I think everything will be ready. We always keep working on performance but when it comes to a race weekend you give it your all to achieve a good result. It will be busy for us in the race but I feel I’m in an OK position right now."

Palmer had a somewhat torrid time of it in pre-season testing. While his team mate Kevin Magnussen had a productive time in the car, it seemed that any time something could go wrong, it chose to do so when it was Palmer's turn to take over.

"I was unlucky in that every day I picked up a problem, which has cost us a few hours," Palmer agreed. "We had some frustrations but in the end we managed to get some good performance running in.

"It’s not what you want when you’re a rookie, but all the same I have done a reasonable amount of laps and Kevin has had four very good days so we have been able to gather a lot of information on the car.

"We know it is a strong basis to start from and we’ll keep working to deliver more performance."

Palmer added that his experience in the car last year had been "a big help" when it came to learning the various procedures.

"Even though I did not get the greatest amount of laps in [pre-season] testing, I don’t feel too behind and know that when we turn up in Melbourne it will be OK."

A closer look at the Manor MRT05

Carlos Sainz interview: The most important year, again

Click here for an exclusive Q&A with Honda's Yusuke Hasegawa

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Stella names rivals ‘a step ahead’ of McLaren after Bahrain

McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…

5 hours ago

Hulkenberg says Audi’s rivals haven't 'pulled their pants down' yet

Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…

7 hours ago

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

9 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

10 hours ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

11 hours ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

12 hours ago