F1 commercial rights boss Bernie Ecclestone says he is “certain” that Monza will secure a new deal to continue hosting the Italian Grand Prix after the 2016 edition.
The iconic venue’s future has been in the balance for several months until a new legislation allowed increased funding for the race. The move initially led Angelo Sticchi Damiani, the president of the Automobile Club d’Ialia (ACI), to say he was confident of a new seven-year agreement.
However, the situation has been dragging on ever since with Ecclestone declaring last month that the future of the Italian GP at Monza was out of his hands. Speaking to La Gazzetta dello Sport, the F1 supremo is now more confident of a positive outcome.
“I think [Monza] will continue to hold a grand prix,” Ecclestone said. “It’s a discussion amongst men and we are still talking. In the end we will reach a conclusion, I am certain.”
Monza’s current problems stem from the circuit bosses’ struggle to meet FOM’s hosting fees but Ferrari star driver Sebastian Vettel already warned last year that the race should not be dropped “for any s****y money reasons.”
“You are basically ripping our hearts out,” added the German, who has been a vocal supporter of historic tracks. Vettel’s fellow F1 drivers clearly agree, as highlighted by the following excerpt in the strongly worded letter sent out by the GPDA on Wednesday:
“We need to ensure that F1 remains a sport, a closely-fought competition between the best drivers in extraordinary machines on the coolest race tracks.”
The ‘Temple of Speed’ clearly belongs to them.
Scene at the Australian Grand Prix
Australian Grand Prix - Quotes of the weekend
Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter
McLaren heads into the Dutch Grand Prix with momentum firmly on its side, and the…
Max Verstappen has finally put to rest the speculation surrounding his Red Bull future, committing…
McLaren and Red Bull will finally get their chance to challenge the FIA’s controversial decision…
The Cadillac F1 team heads into this weekend’s Dutch Grand Prix with a new team…
On this day in 1984, Gerhard Berger started the first of his 210 Grands Prix,…
Williams has moved decisively to end the uncertainty over Carlos Sainz’s future, confirming that the…