Verstappen pleased to return to happy overtaking ground

Max Verstappen says this weekend’s Chinese Grand Prix provides F1 drivers with great opportunities to make overtaking moves, a field where the Toro Rosso ace has already established his reputation.

For his maiden visit to Shanghai International Circuit 12 months ago, Verstappen put on quite a show, as the Dutch teenager pulled off several eye-catching passes during his recovery from 13th on the grid.

“I like China, I remember I had some good overtakes there!” Verstappen said. “The first four corners of the circuit, Turns 1 to 4, are a very special part and tricky to get right.

“Another part of the track that I enjoyed last year was Turn 6. I did a good move there! I couldn't overtake [Force India’s Sergio] Perez on the straight, so I had to do it somewhere else.

“I got a good exit out of Turn 5 and, approaching Turn 6, where you normally brake late – as it's a hairpin – I managed to overtake him by braking even later than usual. It's a big relief when you finally get passed a rival and I was very happy.”

The 18-year-old further recalls that the second half of the Chinese venue layout features a good overtaking spot at the end of the immense back straight.

“Turns 7, 8, 9 and 10 are hard on the tyres, so you have to save the rears a bit to get good traction out of there,” Verstappen added. “Another thing I remember from this circuit are the overtakes at Turn 14 – I prepared myself well down the long straight each time and in the end managed to get by from very far!

“Unfortunately, last year I had a little issue on the main straight with only a few laps to go… And had to retire. I will try not to think about it this year and fight to see the chequered flag in the best possible position”.

Having fought his way up to eighth, Verstappen’s storming charge in Shanghai was halted when he suffered a drivetrain issue on his Toro Rosso on Lap 52 of 56.

PROFILE: Paddy Lowe, the pioneer

Sergio Perez exclusive interview: Time to be a driving force

Eric Silbermann ponders the outcome of the qualifying format row

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Julien Billiotte

Recent Posts

A Lotus blossoms in Monaco for the very first time

Colin Chapman's Team Lotus entered Grand Prix racing on this day in 1958, fielding a…

1 hour ago

Palou takes stunning Indy 500 pole for Ganassi: ‘I have no words’

Talk about a masterclass in speed! On Sunday at the Brickyard, Chip Ganassi Racing’s Alex…

2 hours ago

Coulthard flags hidden challenge behind Antonelli’s shock title bid

David Coulthard believes Kimi Antonelli’s rapid rise to the top of the Formula 1 world…

3 hours ago

Horner gives insight into post-Red Bull life at Monaco E-Prix

Less than a year after his dramatic exit from Red Bull following last summer’s British…

4 hours ago

Lindblad left frustrated by lost F1 mileage amid troubled start

Arvid Lindblad arrived in Formula 1 carrying the weight of expectation and the confidence of…

5 hours ago

‘It’s exponential’: Apple bullish on F1’s 'beautiful' future in the U.S.

Formula 1’s American revolution is no longer being discussed as a novelty. Inside Apple, it…

22 hours ago