F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Renault primed for upgrades at ‘almost every race’

Renault head of trackside operations Alan Permane says the French manufacturer is ready to introduce upgrades at “almost every race” across the next six to eight grands prix, now that the initial phase following its Lotus takeover has been completed.

It took lengthy negotiations for Renault to buy out the Enstone outfit, with last December’s agreement having an impact on the early form of the returning works outfit.

Despite Kevin Magnussen’s breakthrough points finish in a drama-filled race in Russia last time out, he and team-mate Jolyon Palmer have yet to qualify higher than 14th.

Managing director Cyril Abiteboul has described this weekend’s Spanish Grand Prix as “the exit point in our recovery from a takeover” that saw the initial Lotus chassis hastily adapted to host a Renault power unit instead of a Mercedes engine.

"We have some aero development and we have some front suspension developments coming and we have an engine upgrade in Canada so we can expect to be putting something on the car almost every race for the next six to eight races," Permane told Autosport.

"We're not running the front suspension parts until the Spanish test so you'll see them in Monaco.

"It's back to normal for us. We're still not fully up to speed and we are still strengthening but it's great."

Chassis technical director Nick Chester already confirmed that Renault will start assessing in next week’s Barcelona F1 test, while Abiteboul previously insisted that the French constructor was not writing off its 2016 campaign.

Silbermann says... Too many angry Bulls in Spain

Technical focus: Halo or Aeroscreen?

Exclusive Jenson Button Q&A

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Julien Billiotte

Recent Posts

Is McLaren’s edge slipping? Norris drops subtle warning

Reigning Formula 1 world champion Lando Norris has warned that McLaren’s 2026 challenger may not…

5 hours ago

Bahrain F1 testing: Day 5 in pictures

Thursday’s action at the Bahrain International Circuit delivered plenty of eye-catching moments as pre-season preparations…

5 hours ago

Bahrain F1 test: Antonelli and Mercedes fastest on Day 5

Mercedes continued to set the pace on Thursday at the Bahrain International Circuit, with Kimi…

6 hours ago

Wolff hits back at F1 compression ratio controversy: ‘Utter bullshit’

Toto Wolff has dismissed Formula 1’s escalating compression ratio controversy as “a storm in a…

7 hours ago

Ferrari flips F1 aero on its head with radical SF-26 rear wing

Ferrari raised a few eyebrows in the F1 paddock in Bahrain on Thursday by unveiling…

9 hours ago

A promising F1 career sadly gone South

Stephen South, born on this day 74 years ago, once rose through the junior ranks…

10 hours ago