F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Vandoorne ‘very confident’ of 2017 F1 chance

Stoffel Vandoorne says he is “very confident” of landing a full-time F1 role in 2017, adding that his main priority going forward is to secure a race seat with McLaren-Honda.

The 2015 GP2 Series winner has been a hot commodity in the F1 paddock for some time now and his strong grand prix debut in Bahrain did little to curb the enthusiasm.

Having received a late call up to replace the injured Fernando Alonso, Vandoorne flew from Japan to jump straight in a car he had never driven and went on to claim McLaren-Honda’s first point of the season.

“I feel very confident about my chances for next year,” the 24-year-old reserve driver told F1i’s Chris Medland in an exclusive interview. “Obviously I have a contract with McLaren and I’ve been with this team for a long time, so this is definitely my main priority to get a race seat here.”

Pressed to disclose whether he had been given any timeframe about a potential announcement, Vandoorne added: “I don’t know when it’s going to be. I know more or less when I want to know when things are going to move. I talk a lot with Ron [Dennis] and Eric [Boullier] at every grand prix I’m at and even at the factory. So I’m trying to push as hard as I can.

“I think having had the chance in Bahrain to race the car has maybe helped a bit, but at the moment there’s nothing decided yet. Hopefully the decision comes sooner rather than later.”

Racing director Boullier previously admitted some teams have their eyes on Vandoorne. The Belgian says he is happy to have other potential suitors should his McLaren plans fall through.

“If for some reason it doesn’t work out then I feel confident that there’s opportunities elsewhere”.

Fernando Alonso's contract McLaren-Honda runs through 2017, while Jenson Button's current deal with Woking expires at the end of this season.

Exclusive Stoffel Vandoorne Q&A

FEATURE: Combined Barcelona testing times

Scene at the Spanish Grand Prix

Spanish Grand Prix - Quotes of the weekend

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Julien Billiotte

Recent Posts

A Lotus blossoms in Monaco for the very first time

Colin Chapman's Team Lotus entered Grand Prix racing on this day in 1958, fielding a…

55 minutes ago

Palou takes stunning Indy 500 pole for Ganassi: ‘I have no words’

Talk about a masterclass in speed! On Sunday at the Brickyard, Chip Ganassi Racing’s Alex…

2 hours ago

Coulthard flags hidden challenge behind Antonelli’s shock title bid

David Coulthard believes Kimi Antonelli’s rapid rise to the top of the Formula 1 world…

3 hours ago

Horner gives insight into post-Red Bull life at Monaco E-Prix

Less than a year after his dramatic exit from Red Bull following last summer’s British…

4 hours ago

Lindblad left frustrated by lost F1 mileage amid troubled start

Arvid Lindblad arrived in Formula 1 carrying the weight of expectation and the confidence of…

5 hours ago

‘It’s exponential’: Apple bullish on F1’s 'beautiful' future in the U.S.

Formula 1’s American revolution is no longer being discussed as a novelty. Inside Apple, it…

22 hours ago