Honda is looking at the possibility of taking a different approach with its power unit in 2017 as development restrictions are lifted.

Since returning to F1 at the start of the 2015 season, Honda has lagged behind the likes of Mercedes and Ferrari in terms of power unit performance. Any progress has been limited by restrictions on power unit development, with teams having a set amount of tokens to spend on changes.

Honda’s head of F1 project Yusuke Hasegawa has previously claimed the Japanese manufacturer could be on a par with Ferrari this season without the restrictions, and with the token system being scrapped for 2017 he told F1i a number of different approaches are now being analysed.

“This is the biggest management issue, which development we will focus on,” Hasegawa said. “Because there are no limits we are currently researching ideas and concepts of the internal combustion, so it is completely different. But we have not decided yet what direction or what concept we will introduce. This is the researching stage.”

When it was put to Hasegawa the power unit architecture could be very different next season, he replied: “It is possible to be different but we haven’t decided yet.”

And Hasegawa says development on the 2016 power unit is continuing but is yet to yield an obvious upgrade after a new turbo was introduced in Canada.

“Of course we are always trying to search for another update. We are not ready to tell but sooner or later we will look to introduce another update for the engine. On the dyno it is so so.”

Canadian Grand Prix - Quotes of the week

Canadian Grand Prix - F1i's driver ratings

Breakfast with ... David Hobbs

Technical feature: Under the skin of the Haas VF-16

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Is McLaren’s edge slipping? Norris drops subtle warning

Reigning Formula 1 world champion Lando Norris has warned that McLaren’s 2026 challenger may not…

13 hours ago

Bahrain F1 testing: Day 5 in pictures

Thursday’s action at the Bahrain International Circuit delivered plenty of eye-catching moments as pre-season preparations…

14 hours ago

Bahrain F1 test: Antonelli and Mercedes fastest on Day 5

Mercedes continued to set the pace on Thursday at the Bahrain International Circuit, with Kimi…

15 hours ago

Wolff hits back at F1 compression ratio controversy: ‘Utter bullshit’

Toto Wolff has dismissed Formula 1’s escalating compression ratio controversy as “a storm in a…

16 hours ago

Ferrari flips F1 aero on its head with radical SF-26 rear wing

Ferrari raised a few eyebrows in the F1 paddock in Bahrain on Thursday by unveiling…

17 hours ago

A promising F1 career sadly gone South

Stephen South, born on this day 74 years ago, once rose through the junior ranks…

19 hours ago