F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Dennis: McLaren in no rush to name 2017 line up

Ron Dennis says McLaren will not name its 2017 driver pairing before at least the month of September, adding “it is just too early” to address the topic right now.

The team currently has world champions Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button under contract, with 2015 GP2 Series winner Stoffel Vandoorne serving as the official reserve driver.

While the Spaniard is locked in a three-year agreement through 2017, the Briton’s deal is up at the end of the current campaign with the Belgian hopeful tipped as his likely replacement for next season.

“We are not even going to talk about drivers until after Monza,” Dennis told Sky Sports News. "We will have a board meeting towards the end of September, which is a logical time to make a decision, but we might not even take one then.

“What we won't do is hamper anyone's career. At the moment we have a young and aspiring driver, two tremendous world champions, and as and when we have to talk about it we will take everything into consideration.

“But right now we are barely halfway through the season. The most inappropriate thing we could possibly do is start talking about decisions like that which impact on next year. It's just too early.”

Button previously told F1i’s Chris Medland that he was open to another seat next year and has recently drawn interest from his former team Williams.

Technical analysis - Baku

Scene at the Grand Prix of Europe

Grand Prix of Europe - Driver ratings

Breakfast with ... Derek Daly

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Julien Billiotte

Recent Posts

A Lotus blossoms in Monaco for the very first time

Colin Chapman's Team Lotus entered Grand Prix racing on this day in 1958, fielding a…

55 minutes ago

Palou takes stunning Indy 500 pole for Ganassi: ‘I have no words’

Talk about a masterclass in speed! On Sunday at the Brickyard, Chip Ganassi Racing’s Alex…

2 hours ago

Coulthard flags hidden challenge behind Antonelli’s shock title bid

David Coulthard believes Kimi Antonelli’s rapid rise to the top of the Formula 1 world…

3 hours ago

Horner gives insight into post-Red Bull life at Monaco E-Prix

Less than a year after his dramatic exit from Red Bull following last summer’s British…

4 hours ago

Lindblad left frustrated by lost F1 mileage amid troubled start

Arvid Lindblad arrived in Formula 1 carrying the weight of expectation and the confidence of…

5 hours ago

‘It’s exponential’: Apple bullish on F1’s 'beautiful' future in the U.S.

Formula 1’s American revolution is no longer being discussed as a novelty. Inside Apple, it…

22 hours ago