Mercedes’ Niki Lauda says he “understands” the five-second time penalty handed to Nico Rosberg for forcing Red Bull’s Max Verstappen off track at the German Grand Prix.

Having dropped to fourth after a poor launch from pole position, Rosberg looked to get on the move following his second pit stop and made a late lunge on the inside of Verstappen at the Turn 6 hairpin.

Although the pair did not clash, the Dutchman had to take evasive action and quickly complained over his team radio that he had been pushed wide by the Mercedes driver. Upon reviewing the incident, the Hockenheim stewards decided to penalise Rosberg.

Asked for his views on the sanction by Sky Sports F1, Lauda said: “Honestly I think it’s OK. They interpreted in the way that [Nico] went too wide. I understand. It is a 50/50 decision. If they decided that way, there is nothing you can do.”

Despite being on the back foot, Rosberg still had a shot at recovering to second place but the German was unable to outpace and overtake the Red Bulls ahead of him in the closing stages of the race.

“Nico lost speed on his car, not from a mechanical or other reason,” Lauda added. “And the Red Bull improved their speed. They were really good.

“I have to say they were quicker here altogether than I would have thought, which was a good result for them.”

REPORT: Hamilton beats Red Bulls to extend championship lead

LIVE: German Grand Prix weekend

Silbermann says ... Backing the wrong horse

Exclusive Alex Wurz Q&A: GPDA chairman "surprised" by Halo delay

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Julien Billiotte

Recent Posts

Vettel reveals his ‘gut feeling’ title favourite for 2026

Four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel has thrown a bold prediction into Formula 1’s swirling 2026…

27 mins ago

Honda issues sink Aston Martin’s final day of running in Bahrain

Aston Martin’s pre-season preparations in Bahrain have taken on the air of a slow-motion collapse,…

2 hours ago

Leclerc fastest midday in Bahrain on final day of testing

Ferrari laid down another statement in the opening session of Friday’s final day of pre-season…

4 hours ago

Penske's journey from driver to the Captain

Racing legend Roger Penske turns 89 today, but don't expect the Captain to take his…

5 hours ago

Leclerc and Sainz sound warning as F1 plans Sprint expansion

Formula 1’s plan to double its Sprint races from six to 12 per season in…

5 hours ago

Domenicali hits back at 2026 F1 critics: ‘We need to stay calm’

Stefano Domenicali has a message for Formula 1’s growing chorus of worriers: take a deep…

7 hours ago