‘Massive step’ no surprise for Raikkonen

Kimi Raikkonen says Ferrari’s “massive step” forward in 2015 is no surprise for the team after Sebastian Vettel won the Malaysian Grand Prix.

Vettel outpaced the previously dominant Mercedes pair of Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg to win at Sepang, with Raikkonen recovering from a puncture at the end of the first lap to finish fourth. With Ferrari failing to win a race at all in 2014, Raikkonen says the result shows what a big step forward the team has made but insists it was one he was expecting since the first test of this year.

“Obviously we had a good car in the first race and since the first test we always said we had a pretty good car,” Raikkonen said. “It’s not a big surprise for us, obviously this weather probably helped and we got the pit stops right both with Seb and with me even with the issues.

“It’s hard to say where we’re going to be exactly at the next circuit because every circuit is different but it’s a good base. Obviously we have things to improve and we will get new parts and stuff so that will always help. Like we said from the first test it’s a massive step from last year and it’s a great job from the team and a very good thing for the team.”

And Raikkonen says fourth place was the best result he could have achieved after picking up a puncture after being hit by Felipe Nasr at the final corner at the end of the first lap.

“Obviously we had quite a lot bad luck in quite a few places this weekend but there’s not much I can do when I get touched from behind and it is what it is. Luckily there was a safety car and we had OK speed, we had some damage with the tyre flapping around on the floor but we did the maximum that we could. Obviously for the team it’s a pretty good result, they got the win. It could have been better but obviously the team with what we had today we did the maximum.”

Click here for Sunday's gallery from the Malaysian Grand Prix

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Mekies insists ‘no intention’ behind Wolff-Jos Verstappen meeting

The sight was irresistible Formula 1 fuel: Jos Verstappen deep in conversation with Toto Wolff…

7 hours ago

Canadian GP: Friday's action in pictures

The Canadian GP weekend kicked off in earnest on Friday under clear blue skies, but…

8 hours ago

Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli to Sprint qualifying pole

George Russell reignited his 2026 Formula 1 title push by securing Sprint pole position for…

8 hours ago

Canadian Grand Prix - Sprint qualifying results

Full results from Sprint qualifying for the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal, round 5 of…

9 hours ago

Norris refuses to call upcoming races ‘deal breakers’ in title defence

Reigning F1 world champion Lando Norris has moved to cool any early-season panic surrounding McLaren’s…

11 hours ago

Canadian GP: Antonelli leads Mercedes 1-2 in red-flagged practice

F1 championship leader Kimi Antonelli emerged fastest in a disrupted and incident-filled sole practice session…

12 hours ago