Red Bull team principal Christian Horner says he was reassured about Renault's commitment to his team between the Chinese and Bahrain races.

Horner has been openly critical of Renault so far this season following a number of reliability issues which have limited Red Bull to a best finish of sixth so far. Such is the severity of the situation, Horner returned to Europe between back-to-back races in April but says the meeting he had has left him satisfied with the engine manufacturer's desire to improve.

"I went to Paris between China and [Bahrain]," Horner said. "I had a constructive discussion with Jerome Stoll who is the main board member within Renault and they don’t want to be in this position.

"They want to be in F1 to compete and they want to win, they don’t want to be in the situation that they are, so of course that is not going to come for free. He recognises that and Renault seem committed to finding a solution."

And Horner says he is confident Renault has been working on fixes for the reliability issues faced so far this season.

"We have had problems in every race so far, but it has to turn. Renault can’t afford for this situation to continue and they are acutely aware of that. So long as it is a repeat failure and not a new failure, whilst disappointing, the failures that have been so far there are solutions in the pipeline for."

Click here for a look at the radical Honda power unit design

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Aston Martin F1 sells minor stake to billionaire Woody Johnson

Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…

14 hours ago

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

15 hours ago

Gasly praises Verstappen’s manager for achieving ‘nice pay rise’

Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…

16 hours ago

Russell says Mercedes seat ‘never under threat’ by Verstappen

George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…

17 hours ago

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1 team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

18 hours ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

19 hours ago