Nico Hulkenberg says he is not surprised by Ferrari's decision to retain Kimi Raikkonen and still has "a few good options" for 2016.

Ferrari opted to keep Raikkonen despite the Finn struggling compared to team-mate Sebastian Vettel so far this season. Hulkenberg had been linked with a potential move to Maranello after another strong season which has also included victory at the Le Mans 24 Hours.

Having said he could see Ferrari would retain Raikkonen, when asked if the decision has a bearing on his future, Hulkenberg replied: “I’m not sure.

"Obviously that seat is taken, but the rest I think there are still a few good options for me out there. I’m pretty confident that I can put something good together and that I will be here next year in a good car.”

Having been named as a target for Haas when it enters F1 next season, Hulkenberg says he is not ruling out a move to a new team.

“Obviously it depends on what options you have and how many. But this is the time of year obviously when you talk to everyone and you assess your options. You put things how you like them and then you make a decision when the time is right. But at the moment I’m working quietly in the background and preparing everything, yeah.”

Chris Medland's Belgian Grand Prix preview

Click here for a gallery of the biggest crashes at Spa-Francorchamps 

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Canadian GP: Saturday's action in pictures

George Russell pulled out the stops twice on Saturday - in the Sprint event and…

25 minutes ago

Canadian GP: Russell snatches pole from Antonelli with late flyer

A tense, tyre-sensitive qualifying session at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve ended with a familiar name…

53 minutes ago

Canadian Grand Prix - Qualifying results

Full results from qualifying for the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal, round 5 of the…

1 hour ago

Wolff calls Russell-Antonelli spat in Montreal Sprint ‘good cinema’

What began as a controlled Mercedes front-row lockout quickly morphed into a high-voltage internal showdown…

4 hours ago

Antonelli wants ‘clarity’ from Mercedes after Sprint duel with Russell

Mercedes celebrated a Sprint victory in Montreal, but beneath the silver smiles, tension was already…

5 hours ago

Canadian GP: Russell wins fiery Sprint as Mercedes drivers clash

George Russell turned pole position in Saturday's Sprint event in Montreal into a polished victory,…

5 hours ago