Ferrari won’t revise targets despite strong start

Ferrari team principal Maurizio Arrivabene says he will not change the team’s targets despite a strong start to pre-season testing.

Having been quickest on three out of the four days during the first test at Jerez, Ferrari continued its strong form with Kimi Raikkonen second fastest on day one at Barcelona and similarly placed on the second morning. However, Arrivabene says he’s not willing to revise Ferrari’s targets for the season, sticking by his aim of two victories for the Scuderia this year.

“I’m not so crazy to change the objective now!” Arrivabene said. “The objective stays the same, to win two races that’s fine. Three would be perfect, or four races I can run without shoes 100km up the hill to Maranello!

“So the objective is still the same. Of course, the drivers are looking to win every race, this is their job and what they’re paid for. I want to keep people’s feet on the ground and be realistic. This is still our objective, the one we were hoping for. That’s it, we will see in the season. I’m not hiding anything [the other teams] are hiding, not me!”

Last year, Ferrari failed to win a race in a season for the first time since 1993, with Fernando Alonso scoring just two podiums for the team all year.

Follow live coverage of the second test here.

Click here for the gallery from day one of the second test

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Aston Martin F1 sells minor stake to billionaire Woody Johnson

Aston Martin F1 has added a high-profile new investor to its rostrum of shareholders, with…

3 hours ago

Dutch GP: Thursday's media in pictures

Formula 1 roars back into action this weekend as the summer break gives way to…

4 hours ago

Gasly praises Verstappen’s manager for achieving ‘nice pay rise’

Pierre Gasly has offered a mischievous glimpse behind the curtain of Max Verstappen’s new Red…

5 hours ago

Russell says Mercedes seat ‘never under threat’ by Verstappen

George Russell has offered a cool-headed response to Max Verstappen’s decision to remain at Red…

5 hours ago

Verstappen says retirement was closer than joining rival F1 team

Max Verstappen has revealed that his Formula 1 future came perilously close to ending altogether,…

7 hours ago

Cadillac F1 quash sale rumours amid TWG investigation

Cadillac has moved swiftly to quash speculation that its fledgling Formula 1 operation could be…

8 hours ago