Vettel would not mind partnering Ricciardo again

Sebastian Vettel says he would not mind teaming up again with Daniel Ricciardo after 1980 F1 world champion Alan Jones suggested Ferrari should poach the Red Bull driver for 2017.

Vettel and Ricciardo spent one season together at Milton Keynes in 2014, with the Australian surprisingly outshining and outscoring his four-time world champion team-mate that year.

Some believe this prompted the German to head for pastures new and seek a fresh challenge at Maranello where Vettel quickly established himself as the new team leader.

“I don’t mind Danny, we’ve never had issues,” Vettel said in Thursday’s FIA press conference. “Obviously the year we had together was very good for him, not so good for me.

“I think that’s one thing that happens on the track but outside the track, which I think is more important when you talk about your teammate, whether you get along or not, we never had – at least I don’t remember.”

Ricciardo was already linked to a Ferrari seat last year amid speculation about Kimi Raikkonen’s potential exit. With the Finn’s extension only valid for the 2016 season, it did not take long for the Australian’s name to reappear on the Maranello rumour mill.

“I don’t know if Seb [Vettel] wants that, to be honest, so we’ll see,” Ricciardo commented. “I heard AJ [Alan Jones] say... or I heard some comments yesterday and got asked the question. Last year I was asked as well. I don’t have much more to say on that.

“It’s still very early in the season and to give you a boring but honest answer is that I’m just completely focused on this year now and with Red Bull. That’s where it stands. [I am] not exactly out of contract either.”

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner made clear Ricciardo had an “absolutely” watertight contract for 2016 when the Ferrari rumours first surfaced last season.

F1i's Australian Grand Prix preview

2016 F1 season: Team-by-team preview

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Julien Billiotte

Recent Posts

McLaren unleash another MCL40 upgrade blitz at Dutch GP

McLaren heads into the Dutch Grand Prix with momentum firmly on its side, and the…

2 hours ago

Verstappen settles F1 future, extends Red Bull deal until 2030!

Max Verstappen has finally put to rest the speculation surrounding his Red Bull future, committing…

3 hours ago

FIA sets date for McLaren and Red Bull’s Monaco appeal

McLaren and Red Bull will finally get their chance to challenge the FIA’s controversial decision…

4 hours ago

Cadillac F1 owner Mark Walter reportedly facing US federal probe

The Cadillac F1 team heads into this weekend’s Dutch Grand Prix with a new team…

18 hours ago

An F1 baptism by fire on home turf for Berger

On this day in 1984, Gerhard Berger started the first of his 210 Grands Prix,…

20 hours ago

Williams end Sainz uncertainty with multi-year contract extension

Williams has moved decisively to end the uncertainty over Carlos Sainz’s future, confirming that the…

21 hours ago