Jenson Button says the opportunity to race competitively will decide whether he stays in F1 or not beyond the end of this season.

The 2009 world champion's contract at McLaren expires at the end of the year, one of many drivers who are nearing the end of their deals. With new regulations set to be introduced in 2017, Button had previously said the planned changes would influence his thoughts regarding his future but the McLaren driver told F1i his main focus is on whether he will have a competitive seat or not.

“I think more what happens this year influences what I want to do next year," Button said. "How I feel with how the cars are. I have a good understanding of how the cars will feel next year but I want to be in a position where I can be competitive and fight for good results - at least be in the mix - and that’s what will keep me in the sport.”

Saying he doesn't know his options for 2017 yet, Button was clear that he is not limiting himself to either McLaren or retirement from F1 at the end of the season.

“My mind is to be competitive next year and to race and enjoy racing. And to be able to see the front at least! I’d love to do that here and I hope this team is in that situation.”

When it was suggested there could be a seat at Mercedes available at the end of the year, Button replied: “Any human being that likes racing cars would say yes they would do that because it’s the quickest car by a second.

"So any driver whether he’s in love with Ferrari or hates Mercedes cars, he will still drive that car because he has the best chance of being world champion. There’s only one guy that can beat him, so…”

Exclusive Jenson Button Q&A

Technical analysis - Sochi

OPINION: Why Red Bull is right to promote Max Verstappen

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Is McLaren’s edge slipping? Norris drops subtle warning

Reigning Formula 1 world champion Lando Norris has warned that McLaren’s 2026 challenger may not…

4 hours ago

Bahrain F1 testing: Day 5 in pictures

Thursday’s action at the Bahrain International Circuit delivered plenty of eye-catching moments as pre-season preparations…

5 hours ago

Bahrain F1 test: Antonelli and Mercedes fastest on Day 5

Mercedes continued to set the pace on Thursday at the Bahrain International Circuit, with Kimi…

6 hours ago

Wolff hits back at F1 compression ratio controversy: ‘Utter bullshit’

Toto Wolff has dismissed Formula 1’s escalating compression ratio controversy as “a storm in a…

7 hours ago

Ferrari flips F1 aero on its head with radical SF-26 rear wing

Ferrari raised a few eyebrows in the F1 paddock in Bahrain on Thursday by unveiling…

9 hours ago

A promising F1 career sadly gone South

Stephen South, born on this day 74 years ago, once rose through the junior ranks…

10 hours ago