Rumors are rife that Ferrari are pulling out all the stops to try and convince its former headman Ross Brawn to return to Ferrari, even if it's just on a consultancy basis.

Given the Scuderia's current state of affairs, which has seen it incapable of mounting and sustaining a challenge on arch-rival Mercedes, a staffing overhaul  is being contemplated by president Sergio Marchionne who led a series of crucial meetings last week in Maranello.

The preferred plan of action apparently included convincing former technical director and strategist Ross Brawn, a key pivot at Ferrari during the ultra-successful Scumacher years, to return to the Scuderia in one capacity or the other to help the outfit with its present and future campaigns.

Speaking recently with Sky Sports Martin Brundle at Goodwood, Brawn insisted he had no intention of returning to Formula 1.

"My nature when I was involved was 24/7 and I'm not sure I want a 24/7 anymore," he told Brundle.

"Never say never about any of those sort of things, but I'm quite content doing what I'm doing and nothing has come along that I would be motivated and interested in."

But Ferrari are apparently pushing hard for at least a consultancy-based collaboration with Brawn, hoping the engineer will accept to provide engineering input, although how he would interact with current tech director James Allison is unclear.

During his sit-down with Sky Sports recently, Brawn himself vaunted the talent of Ferrari's Allison.

"They've got some very good people there -James Allison is excellent," Brawn said.

"If they give him the resources and give him the time and put the infrastructure around him, with great drivers, they'll get results."

Closing the gap? 2016 constructors points progression

FEATURE: Red Bull Racing: Be My Guest

From the cockpit: Felipe Nasr on the green grass of home

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Phillip van Osten

Motor racing was a backdrop from the outset in Phillip van Osten's life. Born in Southern California, Phillip grew up with the sights and sounds of fast cars thanks to his father, Dick van Osten, an editor and writer for Auto Speed and Sport and Motor Trend. Phillip's passion for racing grew even more when his family moved to Europe and he became acquainted with the extraordinary world of Grand Prix racing. He was an early contributor to the monthly French F1i Magazine, often providing a historic or business perspective on Formula 1's affairs. In 2012, he co-authored along with fellow journalist Pierre Van Vliet the English-language adaptation of a limited edition book devoted to the great Belgian driver Jacky Ickx. He also authored "The American Legacy in Formula 1", a book which recounts the trials and tribulations of American drivers in Grand Prix racing. Phillip is also a commentator for Belgian broadcaster Be.TV for the US Indycar series.

Recent Posts

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

1 hour ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

2 hours ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

4 hours ago

Aston Martin F1 secures naming rights in perpetuity amid turmoil

The Aston Martin F1 team will carry its name into Grand Prix racing’s future in…

5 hours ago

Vasseur encouraged as Ferrari hits mileage targets in Bahrain

Ferrari wrapped up a productive pre-season testing stint in Bahrain, leaving team principal Fred Vasseur…

19 hours ago

Antonelli sees fixes, Russell stumbles as Bahrain reveals issues

Mercedes’ pre-season testing in Bahrain wrapped up on Friday with a mix of promise and…

20 hours ago