F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Renault investing in facilities as well as personnel

Renault is having to invest in its facilities to cater for an ever-expanding workforce, according to team principal Frederic Vasseur.

With Renault taking over the cash-strapped Lotus team at the end of 2015, the French manufacturer has been rebuilding at Enstone so far this season. Acknowledging it will be years before the team can challenge for championships, Vasseur says it is not as simple as hiring more staff to become more competitive in future.

"When we took over the company the headcount was something around 470," Vasseur told the official Formula One website. "Right now we have 570, so there has already been a significant change, and we are planning to hire something in the range of 70 to 80 more people. But to manage that new headcount we also have to invest in building structure and machinery - and that all takes time."

Further explaining the rebuilding process, Vasseur says the impact of personnel hired at this stage will not be felt for another two years in some areas.

"Well, I knew before the season that it would be quite tough! And outsiders probably don’t have the same understanding of the situation: if you want to be successful, you sometimes have to bite the bullet. This is a long-term project - we need to build up a completely new team.

"If somebody joins at the end of 2016 he will design the car of 2018, so this in itself is a time that has to be considered. Yes, right now we are improving on track - we already have a better organisation than at the start of the season, so we are moving forward - but again: we will get results in mid-term and not next week."

Meet the British drivers chasing GP2 glory and an F1 seat

From Sauber to Ferrari - Exclusive interview with Kimi Raikkonen on F1's evolution

Silbermann says ... No hope for an Olympic Grand Prix

FEATURE: Romain Grosjean answers your questions

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Dutch GP red-flagged as Verstappen crashes heavily

Max Verstappen will have delivered a memorable final display to his fans in the Dutch…

2 hours ago

The passing on August 23 of two great racers

Their paths intertwined but as determined racers, Guy Ligier and Didier Pironi took very different…

2 hours ago

Relaxed Russell insists ‘the pressure is off’ in title fight-back

George Russell may have a 56-point mountain to climb if he is to overhaul Mercedes…

3 hours ago

Hamilton confident of holding on to ‘guys up ahead’ in Dutch GP

Lewis Hamilton qualified only fifth at Zandvoort, but the Ferrari driver concluded Saturday with a…

4 hours ago

Zandvoort Speed Trap: Who is the fastest of them all?

Sunday morning has arrived at Zandvoort, and preparations – mechanical and tactical – are at…

5 hours ago

Honda engine ‘lottery’ leaves Aston Martin drivers nowhere

Aston Martin arrived at Zandvoort with Honda’s promising new power unit bolted to the back…

6 hours ago