F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Vasseur hints at ’two lead drivers’ for Renault

Frederic Vasseur says Renault's 2017 Formula One line-up could feature two lead drivers, with the team principal pointing to the successful example of Mercedes.

The French manufacturer announced on Friday that Nico Hulkenberg would join its works team from next year, with the German ace expected to lead Renault’s efforts as it seeks to return to winning ways as an F1 constructor.

Several drivers are in contention to become Hulkenberg’s team-mate and Vasseur says the latter could be on equal footing with the former Le Mans 24 Hours winner.

“Why wouldn't we have two team leaders?” Vasseur told French-speaking newspaper L’Equipe. “At Mercedes, it works perfectly.

“I don’t like the idea of having a top driver and another one left in the shadow. Performance comes emulation.

“Just look at Mercedes: the duel [between Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg] has pushed the team forward. The idea would be to have two equally talented drivers.”

With Renault also keen to have a homegrown talent in its line-up, Manor rookie Esteban Ocon has repeatedly been tipped for a full-time role with the French manufacturer.

“He is on our short-list,” Vasseur added. “It’s not a secret. We give ourselves a few races to monitor every candidate for our second seat before making the decision.

“Each race brings more valuable information. Ocon’s performance in Suzuka last weekend was very rewarding for him compared to his team-mate. He had an excellent Japanese Grand Prix.”

Current drivers Jolyon Palmer and Kevin Magnussen remain in the frame too, though the Dane’s contract option expired on Friday 14 October.

Valtteri Bottas’ name has also appeared on the rumour mill in recent weeks, with the Williams ace yet to confirm his plans for 2017.

F1i Classic - Masten Gregory - The 'Kansas City flash'

Silbermann investigates the potential EU threat to F1's Liberty Media deal

2017 F1 driver line-ups so far

TECHNICAL ANALYSIS: Suzuka

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Julien Billiotte

Recent Posts

Stella names rivals ‘a step ahead’ of McLaren after Bahrain

McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…

3 hours ago

Hulkenberg says Audi’s rivals haven't 'pulled their pants down' yet

Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…

4 hours ago

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

6 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

7 hours ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

8 hours ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

10 hours ago