F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Wolff would welcome Brawn despite trust comments

Toto Wolff says he would welcome Ross Brawn taking a role in the governance of F1 despite the former Mercedes team principal saying he couldn't trust the Austrian.

Brawn revealed in his upcoming book Total Competition that he left Mercedes at the end of 2013 because he "couldn't trust" Wolff and Niki Lauda. Brawn has since revealed he would be willing to return to F1 in a role which would allow him to shape the sport's future, but would not work for a team again.

When Wolff was asked if he would welcome Brawn back to F1, the Mercedes boss replied: "Yes, I read the article.

"First of all, there was a lot of controversy around the book he has written, but success and transition is never easy and it is a delicate matter. So for me this is no problem and actually we have been in touch and he has said some quite nice things about us not dropping the ball, and the relationship is intact.

"Ross is hugely experienced and has the right personality and technical knowledge to potentially play a big part in Formula One going forward. He has been there forever and he has the right distance from being away for a couple of years and if I need to underwrite Ross coming back in a leadership function in Formula One, then he has my vote."

Brawn has previously received the backing of Red Bull team principal Christian Horner as a figure who should be recruited to oversee technical regulations within F1.

Breakfast with Stefan Johansson

15 minutes with ... Nico Rosberg

Silbermann says ... Masked in Mexico

Chris Medland's 2016 Mexican Grand Prix preview

2017 driver line-ups so far

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Vasseur encouraged as Ferrari hits mileage targets in Bahrain

Ferrari wrapped up a productive pre-season testing stint in Bahrain, leaving team principal Fred Vasseur…

2 hours ago

Antonelli sees fixes, Russell stumbles as Bahrain reveals issues

Mercedes’ pre-season testing in Bahrain wrapped up on Friday with a mix of promise and…

3 hours ago

Bahrain F1 testing: Day 6 in pictures

F1 pre-season testing reached its conclusion in Bahrain on Friday, and it’s now time for…

3 hours ago

Ferrari's Leclerc dominates final day of testing in Bahrain

Ferrari and Charles Leclerc ended the 2026 Bahrain pre-season testing on a high note, dominating…

4 hours ago

Vettel reveals his ‘gut feeling’ title favourite for 2026

Four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel has thrown a bold prediction into Formula 1’s swirling 2026…

6 hours ago

Honda issues sink Aston Martin’s final day of running in Bahrain

Aston Martin’s pre-season preparations in Bahrain have taken on the air of a slow-motion collapse,…

7 hours ago