F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Vettel test crash 'not the fault of Pirelli tyres'

Pirelli motorsports director Paul Hembery has said that Sebastian Vettel's test crash last week was not down to any problems with the new-specification tyres.

Vettel was left bruised and shaken after sliding into a barrier at Ferrari's own Fiorano test track at some speed while testing a set of the new 2017 rain tyres. The test was cut short after the incident.

Pirelli has been tasked with creating new compounds for 2017 that can cope with cornering speeds up to 40kph higher than last year and with 20 per cent more downforce, as a result of technical regulation changes introduced over the winter.

But Paul Hembery said that Vettel's crash had not uncovered any significant flaw in the new rubber.

"It was very cold on that day," he told German broadcaster RTL. "It was extremely abnormal conditions that made testing very difficult and delicate.

"It was only 4 degrees, which is unusual," he added. "To get the tyres to work in those temperatures is the problem.

"The biggest challenge for us is not having seen the new cars. We'll probably only see if our data corresponds to reality on Saturday night in Melbourne."

Pirelli motorsport director Mario Isola added that the company would have backup tyres available for the first few races of 2017, just in case anything unexpected did come up.

"Some elements are difficult to predict, so we have prepared five reserve compounds that can be used if the real track data does not coincide with what we simulated," he said.

GALLERY: F1 drivers' wives and girlfriends

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Verstappen settles F1 future, extends Red Bull deal until 2030!

Max Verstappen has finally put to rest the speculation surrounding his Red Bull future, committing…

1 hour ago

FIA sets date for McLaren and Red Bull’s Monaco appeal

McLaren and Red Bull will finally get their chance to challenge the FIA’s controversial decision…

2 hours ago

Cadillac F1 owner Mark Walter reportedly facing US federal probe

The Cadillac F1 team heads into this weekend’s Dutch Grand Prix with a new team…

17 hours ago

An F1 baptism by fire on home turf for Berger

On this day in 1984, Gerhard Berger started the first of his 210 Grands Prix,…

18 hours ago

Williams end Sainz uncertainty with multi-year contract extension

Williams has moved decisively to end the uncertainty over Carlos Sainz’s future, confirming that the…

19 hours ago

Confirmed: Hadjar out, Lawson in at Red Bull for Dutch GP

Red Bull has confirmed that Isack Hadjar will miss this weekend’s Dutch Grand Prix after…

21 hours ago