Pirelli says it is not concerned by comments from Kimi Raikkonen regarding the prototype wet tyres tested at Paul Ricard.

Raikkonen drove for Ferrari on the opening day of the wet tyre test, with an initial baseline run on 2015 wet tyres being followed by a number of 10-lap stints on different prototypes. After his day in the car, Raikkonen said he was unconvinced by the new wets and preferred the 2015 specification.

However, Pirelli racing manager Mario Isola says all of the prototype tyres were designed to be largely similar to last year's compounds.

"Kimi was testing different prototypes in full wet conditions," Isola told reporters after Tuesday's running. "He was not unhappy, from what I know. He didn't find big differences, but that was not unexpected because one of the targets was to have a prototype that's slightly better for full wet conditions."

Sebastian Vettel drove on Tuesday and was more positive than his Ferrari team-mate, saying he was pleased with the consistency of the tyres.

“In the end you are a bit blind,” Vettel is quoted as saying by Crash.net. “You have a rough idea of what tyres you test and you know how the tyres felt last year. Then again it is not clear what is going to happen after this. Some sets you have a better and a worse feeling at different areas around the track so there are some results but it is up to Pirelli to go ahead with it.

“It was fairly consistent conditions, we mostly used the extreme wets and had one run on the intermediates to get an idea on the crossover points. It is natural that when it is a bit drier that the extreme wets are suffering a bit more. It was fairly consistent and there was no major drop off in lap times.”

France's grand prix circuits

Force India winter diary part three - Sporting Director

1982 French GP: A French touch of clash...

Key dates for the 2016 F1 season

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Why Lindblad was ‘a little bit sad’ after qualifying P9 in Montreal

Most rookies would celebrate a top-10 qualifying result at one of Formula 1’s trickiest circuits,…

2 hours ago

Leclerc admits to 'worst weekend of my career’ amid struggles

Charles Leclerc did not try to soften the blow after Saturday’s Canadian Grand Prix qualifying,…

4 hours ago

Bearman on Haas upgrade chaos: ‘We’ve been chasing our tail’

Oliver Bearman has painted a blunt picture of Haas’s Canadian Grand Prix weekend, suggesting the…

5 hours ago

When Jenson buttoned down for a Monaco clean-sweep

Jenson Button and Brawn GP were in a league of their own on this day…

6 hours ago

Montreal Speed Trap: Who is the fastest of them all?

Power and straight-line speed are usually key strengths around the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, but Sunday’s…

7 hours ago

Mercedes tensions defused - Russell and Antonelli say it’s 'all good'

What began as a potential Mercedes one-two dream at the start of Saturday’s Sprint in…

9 hours ago