Higher stakes won’t change Verstappen relationship - Sainz

Carlos Sainz does not expect his relationship with Toro Rosso team-mate Max Verstappen to grow more tense despite the stakes getting higher in the Red Bull junior outfit in 2016.

Both drivers enjoyed a positive rookie F1 season in Faenza, with the pair also getting on well off track. However, their team’s very own raison d’être remains to nurture young talents so its parent company can cherry-pick its future line-ups.

And Red Bull has never waited for more than two years before promoting Toro Rosso’s standout graduates to Milton Keynes.

“The relationship both Max and myself have you will see good fights on track, good fights in qualifying and things like that but the respect should stay the same,” Sainz told F1i during an exclusive interview.

“The relationship should remain the same. We are both mature enough, obviously with our age it shouldn’t be like that but I think we are both mature enough to handle the situation and hopefully we can keep it as clean and as nice as last year.”

With Daniel Ricciardo a three-time grand prix winner, and Daniil Kvyat developing nicely in the second half of 2015, Sainz could well return to Toro Rosso for a third season in 2017.

This usually means the end of the line in a Red Bull career, as highlighted by the fates of Sébastien Buemi, Jaime Alguersuari, or Jean-Eric Vergne, but Sainz is not eager to start looking for options elsewhere.

“It’s very hard, especially because Red Bull has been supporting my whole career for the last six years. They are the ones that trusted you and put you in a Formula One car.

“It was not Mercedes, not Ferrari, not Williams, not Renault, it was Red Bull who invested in you and put you in a Formula One car and said ‘Go for it, you have all my confidence’.”

Click here for the full Carlos Sainz interview

Max Verstappen: The man in demand

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Julien Billiotte

Recent Posts

Suzuka Speed Trap: Who is the fastest of them all?

You’d be hard-pressed to find an F1 driver who doesn’t love mighty Suzuka — a…

4 hours ago

From zero confidence to big step: Antonelli shines in Suzuka Q3

Mercedes rookie Kimi Antonelli turned a torrid start to his Japanese Grand Prix weekend into…

5 hours ago

Japanese GP: Saturday's action in pictures

Saturday’s qualifying at Suzuka Circuit was peak F1 tension, with Max Verstappen stunning his McLaren…

7 hours ago

Hadjar overcomes seatbelt agony for Suzuka qualifying glory

Racing Bulls’ rookie Isack Hadjar turned agony into triumph at the Japanese Grand Prix, battling…

8 hours ago

Leclerc feeling ‘a lot more at ease’ with Ferrari car at Suzuka

Charles Leclerc says his relationship with Ferrari’s SF-25 car at the Japanese Grand Prix is…

9 hours ago

Sainz hit with Japanese GP grid drop for impeding Hamilton

Williams driver Carlos Sainz has been slapped with a three-place grid penalty for Sunday’s Japanese…

10 hours ago