F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Sauber to take upgraded Ferrari engine in Spain

Sauber will start using Ferrari’s upgraded power unit during next weekend’s Spanish Grand Prix, Felipe Nasr has confirmed in his latest exclusive column for F1i.

The Scuderia spent three engine development tokens ahead of the last championship round in Russia. While regulations state that manufacturers must make any evolution available to their customer teams at the same time, neither Sauber nor Haas ran the latest spec in Sochi.

Toro Rosso is also using a Ferrari power unit, albeit a late 2015 version, which means the Faenza outfit can not develop it under the current rules.

After Sauber’s challenging start to its 2016 campaign amid financial difficulties and lack of upgrades to the C35, Nasr is confident the revised engine will help improve the Swiss team’s prospects as F1 returns to Europe.

“In Barcelona we will have the added benefit of running Ferrari's latest engine specification,” Nasr wrote in his latest F1i column. “Added to all the data we have from Sochi, this makes me feel confident of a very good weekend in Spain.”

According to Motorsport.com, Haas, which was pondering using the upgrade earlier this week, will also take the new Ferrari engine.

Sauber announced on Tuesday that it would skip the post-Spanish Grand Prix test held on May 17/18.

OPINION: Why Red Bull is right to promote Max Verstappen

Silbermann says ... Red Bull Clips Your Wings

Scene at the Russian Grand Prix

Breakfast with... Martin Brundle

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Julien Billiotte

Recent Posts

Cadillac F1 owner Mark Walter reportedly facing US federal probe

The Cadillac F1 team heads into this weekend’s Dutch Grand Prix with a new team…

16 hours ago

An F1 baptism by fire on home turf for Berger

On this day in 1984, Gerhard Berger started the first of his 210 Grands Prix,…

17 hours ago

Williams end Sainz uncertainty with multi-year contract extension

Williams has moved decisively to end the uncertainty over Carlos Sainz’s future, confirming that the…

18 hours ago

Confirmed: Hadjar out, Lawson in at Red Bull for Dutch GP

Red Bull has confirmed that Isack Hadjar will miss this weekend’s Dutch Grand Prix after…

20 hours ago

Honda facing ‘important milestone’ as new PU debuts at Dutch GP

Honda is ready to give Aston Martin another reason for optimism at Zandvoort, with its…

21 hours ago

Albon explains why he backs Williams: 'We needed this tough year'

Alex Albon says he’s chosen belief over frustration in his decision to commit his future…

22 hours ago