Current championship leader Nico Rosberg has yet to sign a new deal with employer Mercedes although the broad terms of the contract have been agreed, according to the team's chairman Niki Lauda.
Rosberg joined the German manufacturer in 2010 but has yet to secure a world championship, having finished twice runner-up to Lewis Hamilton in the past couple of seasons.
"We have pretty much agreed on a new two-year contract but still have to work on the details," Niki Lauda told Germany's Bild.
Responding to the question of whether the contract was destined for Rosberg's 31st birthday, Lauda said: "No. He has worked hard to earn it."
Rosberg's signing means that Mercedes' line-up will remain unchanged for 2017, Hamilton having already agreed terms with the manufacturer until 2018.
Pundits were perhaps expecting a break-up of the pairing given the fractious relationship which developed on the back of several on-track encounters, the most recent being their spectacular coming together in Barcelona earlier this year.
But Hamilton recently admitted that his relationship with his team mate had become surprisingly good, aided by growing maturity on both sides.
With thirteen races remaining in 2016, Rosberg enjoys a 24-point lead over Hamilton.
Romain Grosjean interview: I can stop Haas sliding
Silbermann says... Referendumb
Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter
Thursday’s action at the Bahrain International Circuit delivered plenty of eye-catching moments as pre-season preparations…
Mercedes continued to set the pace on Thursday at the Bahrain International Circuit, with Kimi…
Toto Wolff has dismissed Formula 1’s escalating compression ratio controversy as “a storm in a…
Ferrari raised a few eyebrows in the F1 paddock in Bahrain on Thursday by unveiling…
Stephen South, born on this day 74 years ago, once rose through the junior ranks…
Lando Norris set the pace in Thursday’s first session in Bahrain pre-season test, putting McLaren…