F1 News, Reports and Race Results

‘Lance will be in F1 in 2017’, says Stroll's father

X (Twitter)X (Twitter)
FacebookFacebook
WhatsappWhatsapp

Lawrence Stroll has declared that his son Lance “will be in F1 next year”, though the Canadian businessman would not confirm whether he would graduate to grand prix racing with Williams or another team.

Stroll signed off his Formula 3 European championship career with a perfect score at Hockenheim last weekend, having already sealed the title two weeks earlier in Imola.

The Williams development driver has been strongly tipped to replace the retiring Felipe Massa at Grove in 2017, and has been ramping up preparations ahead of his expected F1 promotion by securing extensive mileage in a 2014-spec car.

“Lance will be in F1 next year,” Stroll Snr told French-language publication Le Journal de Montreal. “You can mark my words.”

“He is fulfilling his dream. His race and title wins in F3 are no small feat, but what I am the most proud of is the way he has reached these heights.

“You have no idea how hard he has worked since his career started. His care and relentlessness have made him a champion this year. It’s been a long, sometimes tough journey but he has reaped the most beautiful reward.

“Now he has reached his ultimate goal of making it into F1. I’m sure he’ll be successful there. It’s a big challenge and he has been preparing for it for a long time.”

When asked whether Williams was the team his son would be competing for in 2017, Stroll Snr replied: “We are currently studying two options. Everything will be clear in a few weeks’ time.”

Incidentally, the report says Force India could be the second option, with the team looking to fill Nico Hulkenberg’s seat following his departure to Renault.

The article adds that Stroll’s F1 plans should be announced in London on November 3, a couple of days after the Canadian teenager’s 18th birthday.

FEATURE: Where and why has Williams been caught out

F1i Classic - Masten Gregory - The 'Kansas City flash'

Silbermann investigates the potential EU threat to F1's Liberty Media deal

2017 F1 driver line-ups so far

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Julien Billiotte

Recent Posts

Hamilton calls doubts over faith in Ferrari ‘complete rubbish’

Lewis Hamilton has forcefully dismissed suggestions that he’s losing faith in Ferrari, calling such claims…

47 mins ago

Verstappen: Red Bull’s ‘main issue’ is the car, not the drivers

Max Verstappen has defended the efforts of his now former Red Bull teammate Liam Lawson,…

2 hours ago

Leclerc: Ferrari China DSQ a painful lesson in ‘playing with the limit'

Charles Leclerc believes that Ferrari’s double disqualification from the Chinese Grand Prix was a painful…

3 hours ago

Tsunoda: Marko radio silence since Red Bull switch ‘very unusual’

Yuki Tsunoda has revealed that he has yet to hear from Red Bull motorsport advisor…

4 hours ago

Sainz admits old Ferrari driving habits holding him back at Williams

Carlos Sainz has acknowledged that his transition to Williams from Ferrari has brought unexpected complications,…

5 hours ago

Lawson admits Red Bull demotion a shock: ‘I didn’t see it coming’

Liam Lawson has opened up about his unexpected demotion from Red Bull Racing to its…

18 hours ago