Lewis Hamilton says he and Mercedes boss Toto Wolff "had an amazing meeting" on Sunday afternoon amid change at the team.

Mercedes is currently searching for a replacement for Nico Rosberg, with the German having retired with immediate effect after beating Hamilton to the 2016 drivers' title. Wolff has previously stated any driver move will have to take into account the dynamic with Hamilton, who has two years left on his current contract.

With Mercedes linked with an approach for Valtteri Bottas on Sunday, and amid reports technical boss Paddy Lowe could be about to move in the other direction to Williams, Hamilton visited Wolff and was pleased with the outcome of their talks.

“We’re in Toto’s kitchen, we just had an amazing meeting," Hamilton posted in an Instagram video message. "We just wanted to send you all a message out and let you know we’re going to be the strongest partnership next year and we look forward to fighting for this championship again."

Wolff was sat alongside Hamilton in the clip, and added his own thoughts: “We spent a good couple of hours together, we had a really fantastic meeting and we will be coming back so strong in 2017.”

Hamilton is due to begin his off-season holidays this week, saying at the FIA Press Conference in Vienna that he is keen to get some downtime in Colorado after a record 21-race season.

"I'm basically just counting down the days until I can go away and have a holiday. It's not until the 12th or the 15th [of December], something like that. I'm just waiting for the days to go, it's the only time in the year when you're wishing days by. In life I generally don't like to wish days by but I'm looking forward to getting out and going skiing and snowboarding."

Silbermann says ... Ignore Flavio, get Alonso in

INTERVIEW: Stoffel Vandoorne: The long wait is over

TECHNICAL: Under the skin of the Force India VJM09

FEATURE: Nico Rosberg in numbers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Stella names rivals ‘a step ahead’ of McLaren after Bahrain

McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…

7 hours ago

Hulkenberg says Audi’s rivals haven't 'pulled their pants down' yet

Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…

8 hours ago

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

10 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

11 hours ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

12 hours ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

14 hours ago