Hamilton warns Mercedes against supplying Red Bull

Lewis Hamilton has warned Mercedes not to supply rivals Red Bull with engines if it ends its partnership with Renault.

Red Bull's future engine supply is uncertain with Renault set to take over Lotus and return to F1 as a constructor. Such a move would leave Red Bull seeking a new supplier in the near future, but Hamilton says there is no benefit to Mercedes doing a deal as it would just lead to a bigger threat to the works team.

"I think if we're serious about winning world championships, probably not," Hamilton told Sky Sports when asked if Mercedes should supply Red Bull. "What can I say? Red Bull is a great team. It would be like giving Ferrari our engine - we're here to win.

"We don't really need it, there's no financial benefit in it really. I think we're good where we are."

Daniel Ricciardo believes Red Bull can target joining Ferrari as Mercedes' closest challengers from the Russian Grand Prix onwards, once it receives a major power unit upgrade from Renault. The French manufacturer is set to spend all 12 of its development tokens on a new power unit next month.

Click here for Chris Medland's Italian Grand Prix preview and bold podium prediction. 

2016 F1 driver line-ups so far

F1 drivers' girlfriends gallery

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Andrew Lewin

Andrew first became a fan of Formula 1 during the time when Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill were stepping into the limelight after the era of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell and Aryton Senna. He's been addicted ever since, and has been writing about the sport now for nearly a quarter of a century for a number of online news sites. He's also written professionally about GP2 (now Formula 2), GP3, IndyCar, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and NASCAR. In his other professional life, Andrew is a freelance writer, social media consultant, web developer/programmer, and digital specialist in the fields of accessibility, usability, IA, online communities and public sector procurement. He worked for many years in magazine production at Bauer Media, and for over a decade he was part of the digital media team at the UK government's communications department. Born and raised in Essex, Andrew currently lives and works in south-west London.

Recent Posts

Haas targets top-10 return in Canada as team unleashes VF-26 upgrade

Read also: Haas is set to roll out a heavily revised VF-26 in Montreal this…

8 hours ago

Mercedes confirms Montreal upgrade: ‘We need to respond’

Toto Wolff has fired a clear warning to Formula 1’s chasing pack ahead of this…

9 hours ago

Schumacher facing challenging Indy 500 debut after qualifying

Mick Schumacher is officially locked into the field for his very first Indianapolis 500, though…

10 hours ago

A Lotus blossoms in Monaco for the very first time

Colin Chapman's Team Lotus entered Grand Prix racing on this day in 1958, fielding a…

12 hours ago

Palou takes stunning Indy 500 pole for Ganassi: ‘I have no words’

Talk about a masterclass in speed! On Sunday at the Brickyard, Chip Ganassi Racing’s Alex…

13 hours ago

Coulthard flags hidden challenge behind Antonelli’s shock title bid

David Coulthard believes Kimi Antonelli’s rapid rise to the top of the Formula 1 world…

13 hours ago