Wolff: Ferrari form means ‘there is zero room for error’

X (Twitter)X (Twitter)
FacebookFacebook
WhatsappWhatsapp

Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff says his team cannot afford any slip-up at this weekend’s Chinese Grand Prix with Ferrari lurking in the background.

The reigning Constructors’ champions managed to win the first two rounds of the season courtesy of Nico Rosberg, but their nearest rivals seem to have taken a significant step forward in 2016.

Indeed, Sebastian Vettel comfortably led the Melbourne opener until the race was red-flagged, while a poor start from Kimi Raikkonen in Sakhir denied the Finn a shot at genuinely challenging Rosberg.

“After two races, we find ourselves in a strong position,” Wolff said. “Our car has proven itself to be competitive in a range of conditions once again, but also reliable even at this early stage, which is a tremendous achievement.

“But there is a long way to go and we have by no means been flawless in every area so far. With Ferrari increasingly breathing down our necks, as we saw in Bahrain, there is zero room for error. Remaining energised is now more important than ever - and we all have plenty to keep us on our toes in that respect.”

Despite Ferrari’s strong form, the 2016 title fight is currently shaping up as another Mercedes intra-team duel between Rosberg and triple world champion Lewis Hamilton.

Although the German has drawn first blood with his victories in Australia and Bahrain, Wolff says this year’s record 21-date calendar mitigate the impact of having an early lead in the standings.

“With just two races down and nineteen to go, I wouldn't say there is momentum on one side or the other. But what is clear – and very exciting for the team and the sport – is that we have two drivers high in confidence who will provide us with plenty of entertainment over the coming months.”

Rosberg leads Hamilton by 17 points, while Mercedes already has a 50-point cushion over Ferrari.

PROFILE: Paddy Lowe, the pioneer

Sergio Perez exclusive interview: Time to be a driving force

Eric Silbermann ponders the outcome of the qualifying format row

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Julien Billiotte

Recent Posts

Horner on Lawson demotion: ‘You’ve got to be cruel to be kind’

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner stabdsd by his team’s decision to demote Liam Lawson…

2 hours ago

Haas rolling the dice with risky VF-25 floor update in Suzuka

Haas heads into the Japanese Grand Prix weekend with a risky move after fast-tracking a…

3 hours ago

Japanese GP: Thursday's build-up in pictures

The Japanese Grand Prix roars into action this weekend at one of its most iconic…

5 hours ago

Norris: McLaren ‘unbeatable’is just rivals ‘talking crap’

Lando Norris, the current F1 championship leader, has hit out at suggestions that McLaren holds…

6 hours ago

A historic first, and last, for Andretti at Long Beach

Mario Andretti won the 1977 US Grand Prix West at Long Beach on this day…

7 hours ago

Hamilton calls doubts over faith in Ferrari ‘complete rubbish’

Lewis Hamilton has forcefully dismissed suggestions that he’s losing faith in Ferrari, calling such claims…

8 hours ago