F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone says he does not like the two cockpit protection systems tested so far, and does not think any such concept should be introduced in the sport.

Ferrari created a stir in the paddock when it debuted the Halo in pre-season testing two months ago. Since then, Red Bull has come up with a solution of its own - called Aeroscreen - and tested it for the first time on Daniel Ricciardo’s RB 12 in free practice for the Russian Grand Prix.

Having strived to enhance driver head protection for years, the FIA is pushing on with plans to have one of the two devices fitted on 2017 F1 cars, with a decision expected by July 1.

Asked about his opinion of the Aeroscreen, Ecclestone initially engaged in light banter: “We're going to get a lot of pit stops now when they have to stop to clean the screen, so that will be good.”

Speaking about the Halo and Red Bull half-canopy design, the 85-year-old then added: “I don’t like any of it.”

Pressed to say what should be done to improve cockpit safety, Ecclestone simply responded: “Nothing”.

Following the Aeroscreen debut, Red Bull released a series of video clips to show how the system coped when projectiles, including an F1 wheel, were fired at the screen at high speed.

Ecclestone says he was not convinced by the tests, as they did not take place in representative conditions.

“You have a stationary object and you are firing a tyre at it when in the race, when the wheel has come off, normally both cars will be moving.

“So how can you simulate it by having a car stationary? And how would you ever know what is going to happen with a wheel anyway? If it hits the thing it will probably bounce off anyway.”

DRIVER RATINGS: Russian Grand Prix

REPORT: Rosberg eases to win after Kvyat takes out Vettel

Breakfast with ... Martin Brundle

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Julien Billiotte

Recent Posts

Stella names rivals ‘a step ahead’ of McLaren after Bahrain

McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…

2 hours ago

Hulkenberg says Audi’s rivals haven't 'pulled their pants down' yet

Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…

3 hours ago

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

5 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

6 hours ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

8 hours ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

9 hours ago