F1 News, Reports and Race Results

Button expects Abu Dhabi to be his last F1 race

Jenson Button admits he does not want to be racing in Formula One beyond this weekend’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, despite McLaren-Honda having an option on the Briton for 2018.

Button will step down from his seat following the 2016 season finale and was initially set to take a sabbatical year away from F1. The 2009 world champion will take on an ambassadorial role while also being McLaren-Honda’s reserve driver.

The team decided to keep Button under contract through 2018 in case Fernando Alonso leaves at the end of 2017. Speaking during Thursday’s FIA press conference at Yas Marina Circuit, the 36-year-old now appears to be heading for retirement.

“I go into this weekend thinking it's going to be my last race, I think that's the best way,” Button said. “It is going to be my last race. At this moment in time, I don't want to be racing in F1 beyond this year.

“It is true that I have a contract in 2018 but at this moment in time I am not going to be racing in 2018. “The whole point of this was if in three months' time I had eaten myself stupid and I changed my mind.

“But I don't want to go into this race thinking it's not my last race and it is.”

Having made his F1 debut with Williams in 2000, Button is set to make his 305th start on Sunday; he has 15 wins, 50 podiums, eight pole positions, and eight fastest laps to his name.

“It's been a long journey since eight years old until now. You get to Formula One with many dreams and hopefully you leave the sport with memories - some amazing memories, some life-changing, some good, some bad.

“I’ve raced with two of the teams I dreamt about racing with when I was a kid: Williams and McLaren.

“To walk away with the world championship [with Brawn GP] is very special too.

“Over 300 grands prix and I will definitely step away from F1 happy with what I've achieved and definitely my life starts now.”

Grosjean column: Magnussen and THAT crash in Brazil

Chris Medland's 2016 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix preview

FEATURE: Hamilton v Rosberg: 2016 F1 drivers' title permutations

TECHNICAL: Under the skin of the McLaren-Honda MP4-31

2017 driver line-ups so far

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Julien Billiotte

Recent Posts

Stella names rivals ‘a step ahead’ of McLaren after Bahrain

McLaren arrived in Bahrain for pre-season testing determined to defend its status as Formula 1’s…

5 hours ago

Hulkenberg says Audi’s rivals haven't 'pulled their pants down' yet

Nico Hulkenberg has given F1 fans a vivid image to ponder ahead of the 2026…

7 hours ago

Total mileage and fastest laps from F1 pre-season testing

Under the pale winter sun of Barcelona and the desert glare of Bahrain, George Russell…

9 hours ago

Remembering the man who conquered F1's most thrilling win

Peter Gethin, the man who secured perhaps the most thrilling win ever witnessed in Grand…

10 hours ago

Aston Martin’s nightmare: Honda owns up to power unit meltdown

Aston Martin engine supplier Honda has publicly conceded what the timing screens in Bahrain had…

11 hours ago

Piastri explains management shake-up ahead of 2026 F1 season

As the countdown to 2026 gathers pace, Oscar Piastri has reshuffled his inner circle –…

12 hours ago