F1 News, Reports and Race Results

New Monza deal delayed by Imola's legal action

Imola chiefs have opened legal action to dispute Monza's extension as home of the Italian Grand Prix through 2019, according to Autosport.

Bernie Ecclestone seemed to have put an end to months of uncertainty regarding the future of the event when it was confirmed last Friday that a new three-year deal was in place. However, the Formula One supremo did say “we're getting all the small details that are important in a contract together and we'll sign this”.

It has now emerged that these “small details” are Imola bosses having taken legal action to challenge the fact that only Monza could receive government funding, despite Automobile Club d'Italia (ACI) president Angelo Sticchi Damiani confirming it to F1i earlier this year.

Ivan Capelli, who serves as president of the Automobile Club Milano, told Autosport the court will hear the case on October 26.

“The appeal court in Rome is going to judge if the steps the Automobile Club did until now, in telling the Autodromo of Monza that is the only title to receive the government money, is legal,” the former F1 driver said.

“Imola put an application saying it's not legal.

"Last year the [Italian Prime Minister] Matteo Renzi was [at Monza] and then we had an amendment in the law saying that the Automobile Club of Italy could use the tax that we pay, to use that money to pay the [hosting] fee through the ACI.

"And Imola says, 'no, if the Automobile Club is giving the money to Monza, it's unfair, because we are the same level, we are an automobile club as well, and we want the same money that they're giving to Monza’.”

2016 Italian Grand Prix - Quotes of the week

DRIVER RATINGS - 2016 Italian Grand Prix

RACE REPORT: Rosberg wins at Monza to cut Hamilton gap to two points

COMMENT: McLaren's 2017 driver line-up: A stroke of genius?

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Julien Billiotte

Recent Posts

The passing on August 23 of two great racers

Their paths intertwined but as determined racers, Guy Ligier and Didier Pironi took very different…

8 minutes ago

Relaxed Russell insists ‘the pressure is off’ in title fight-back

George Russell may have a 56-point mountain to climb if he is to overhaul Mercedes…

42 minutes ago

Hamilton confident of holding on to ‘guys up ahead’ in Dutch GP

Lewis Hamilton qualified only fifth at Zandvoort, but the Ferrari driver concluded Saturday with a…

2 hours ago

Zandvoort Speed Trap: Who is the fastest of them all?

Sunday morning has arrived at Zandvoort, and preparations – mechanical and tactical – are at…

3 hours ago

Honda engine ‘lottery’ leaves Aston Martin drivers nowhere

Aston Martin arrived at Zandvoort with Honda’s promising new power unit bolted to the back…

4 hours ago

Verstappen struggling with both health and car for Zandvoort finale

Max Verstappen admitted after qualifying at Zandvoort that he has been feeling under the weather…

5 hours ago