Sergio Perez claims to already have a few options lined up to return to F1 in 2022 if he is forced to sit out the 2021 season.
Racing Point's decision to recruit Sebastian Vettel for next year has left the talented Mexican out in the cold, with Red Bull his only chance - and a slim one at that - of remaining on the grid in 2021.
Opportunities for Perez to race with Haas, Alfa Romeo or Williams next season were also briefly contemplated but never panned out.
In a press conference with Mexican media on Monday streamed on YouTube, Perez revealed that he had already received offers for 2022.
"I already have options to return to F1 in 2022, so it would not be a problem," said Perez. "But what I want to do, I want to do 100 percent convinced, and today no other category catches my attention.
"Surely a year will take you away from the competition a bit, but you have to take into account that the rules will change a lot in 2022.
"I think that would not affect me much. In the end, with the experience I have, I would return to F1 and within 200 laps, I would be at my level.
"We have seen this with other drivers who leave and return the following year."
Perez said that a reserve role with a top team could be of interest to him, although he is not too keen on the idea of attending every race.
"There is this possibility of being a reserve, and I have to discuss it," Perez added.
"There's a chance with one of F1's biggest teams to be their reserve. But I am not very convinced that I would travel to all races as a reserve.
"There are 23 races, and I will be away from home, from my family, all the time without running.
"At this point in my career, I would not take it, but it is still under discussion that I can do fewer races. Whenever I am more clear about what will happen to my F1 career, we will talk about it."