Three months after his massive crash during qualifying for the Indy 500, Sebastien Bourdais has been given the green light to return to the cockpit.
The French driver sustained a fractured pelvis and broken hip when hit the wall at Indy, and was expected to be sidelined for the remainder of the season.
But Bourdais' mending process has gone better than expected, enabling the 38-year-old to evaluate his physical form and test his Dale Coyne Racing car late last month at Mid-Ohio.
"I wouldn't be here and getting back in a car if I wasn't ready, but for now, it's just testing, we'll see how it goes, it's kind of an evaluation day," Bourdais said last month ahead of the test.
"I know that after this, the cars get transferred to ovals [spec] and everything. The doctors were okay with me getting back in the car on the 15th, and they said that two weeks were not going to make a big difference."
Bourdais has indeed made more progress, prompting him to tweet a piece of good news earlier today.
"Some of you might wonder why I was in Indy today... Well, I had the final appointment with Doc and guess what? All clear, let's go racing!"
The former Toro Rosso F1 driver has ruled out racing on ovals for the remainder of the season however, which puts a potential return to action at Watkins Glen on September 3.