Interlagos is set to remain the home of the Brazilian Grand Prix until at least 2025 according to the Governor of Sao Paulo, João Doria.
The venue, which has continually hosted Brazil's F1 event since 1990, was scrapped from this year's schedule due to the coronavirus pandemic but the race is included on the provisional 2021 calendar released by F1 earlier this week.
F1 commercial rights holder Liberty Media has yet to confirm Sao Paulo's planned new contract, but the deal's signing is a mere formality according to Doria.
"I am proud to reveal that F1 has just renewed a contract to hold the Brazilian GP until 2025," said Sao Paolo's governor at a press event held on Thursday.
"The Interlagos racetrack has been confirmed as the venue for the next five years. The contract will be signed by Mayor Bruno Covas and Liberty Media, the rights holder of F1."
It is believed that Liberty Media was initially unwilling to renew Interlagos' contract, having found itself at odds with the event's promoter who is known to have strong links to former F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone.
But a new promoter handling the circuit's affairs has paved the way for a new deal.
While Interlagos' presence on the sport's 2021 calendar is perhaps not a surprise, a five-year contract is unexpected given Rio de Janeiro's recent push to take ownership of the Brazilian Grand Prix.
However, the proposed Deodoro circuit, located in the vicinity of Rio on a military base that was used for several events during the 2016 Olympic games, was set be built in the Camboata Forest, a plan that generated the wrath of local environmental groups who opposed the area's deforestation.
Last month, Formula 1 chief executive Chase Carey said that a deal for the sport to return to Rio de Janeiro had been agreed in principle, although the contract was conditional upon pending building permits.
With the latter not forthcoming, it appears that Rio's efforts to host an F1 event may be dead in the water.