Jenson Button says McLaren-Honda needs “to keep their head down” ahead of this weekend’s Canadian Grand Prix after his team finally ended their 2015 points drought at Monaco.
The 2009 world champion drove a ‘flat-out’ race to claim P8 around the Monte Carlo streets. However, both MP4-30s failed to make it into Q3 yet again and Button’s Sunday performance was slightly tainted by team-mate Fernando Alonso's second consecutive retirement.
“It was great to get our first points of the season in Monaco,” said Button. “But it was only eighth place and we’ve been working flat-out since then to improve performance further.
“Fernando hasn’t had much luck in the last few races so we all need to keep our heads down and keep fighting to make sure we get both cars to the flag.”
Coming back to Montreal bears a special significance for Button, who secured his greatest career win at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in 2011, pipping Sebastian Vettel in the final lap after one of the most memorable Grand Prix in history.
“The circuit is a real racer’s track and I absolutely love it, it’s definitely one of my favourites. It’s the place where I had probably my most famous victory back in 2011, so it’ll be interesting to see what the changeable weather will throw at us this year.
“The Circuit Gilles Villeneuve requires good top speed, so we can’t underestimate the challenge, but anything can happen there – and usually does – so we’ll be getting stuck in right from the word go.”
Click here for a look back at Robert Kubica's only Formula One victory in Canada