Teams mull extending weather-impacted first week of testing

© XPB 

Poor weather could wreak havoc on pre-season testing this week in Barcelona, prompting teams to consider adding an extra day of running.

Low temperatures prevailed at the Circuit de Catalunya on Monday which concluded with a spell of rain and... snow in the evening!

Not exactly the mildly warm and dry climate which usually greets F1 at this time of the year in Catalonia.

Forecast for today and tomorrow suggest the cold conditions could continue to hover over Barcelona, with rain and sleet expected on Wednesday.

Teams are now apparently discussing the possibility of scrapping one of the next few days in favour of running on Friday.

Williams however have booked the track for a filming day at the end of the week while Ferrari will have exclusive use of the circuit on Saturday for its own filming purposes.

One option currently under consideration would be to add Sunday and Monday to the original schedule, at which point the weather is expected to have improved.

Any change of the current schedule would require the unanimous consent of all 10 teams.

"At the moment there are no more talks about it," said Haas team principal Gunther Steiner on Monday evening.

"It didn’t get anywhere up to now. We’ll have to look at that tomorrow. We still have a day to go to see what we are going to do. There’s no point to decide if we can’t get the track anyway."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter