Ticktum wins in Macau following huge accident for Floersch

1 Daniel TICKTUM, GBR, Motopark Academy Dallara-Volkswagen. 65th Macau Grand Prix.
© XPB 

Motopark Academy's Dan Ticktum romped to victory in an interrupted Formula 3 race at Macau on Sunday.

The British driver had claimed pole position on Saturday and went on to control the race itself, leading every lap despite two safety car periods and a prolonged red flag stoppage for a major accident.

The biggest challenge to Ticktum's victory came from his team mate Joel Eriksson on lap 12 when the race resumed after a safety car had been deployed to enable the recovery of Enaam Ahmed's crashed Hitech GP car.

After that, Ticktum pulled clear and won by a large margin from Eriksson, with Carlin's Sacha Fenestraz joining them on the podium. Mick Schumacher missed out, the PREMA Theodore Racing driver crossing the line in fourth ahead of team mate Ralf Aron.

Ticktum is still hoping to move into Formula 1 but continues to be frustrated by the lack of points required to earn his superlicence after finishing as runner-up to Schumacher in this year's European Formula 3 championship.

The 19-year-old Red Bull junior will compete in next year's Super Formula in a bod to earn his eligibility to be considered for the Toro Rosso line-up in 2020.

Earlier in the day, a huge accident for van Amersfoort driver Sophia Floersch caused a lengthy delay to proceedings.

1 Daniel TICKTUM, GBR, Motopark Academy Dallara-Volkswagen

On lap 4 of the race, the German driver's car was launched into the air over the back of Sho Tsuboi's TOMS and flew off at high speed into the catchfence at Lisboa Bend protecting a photographers station.

The race was stopped immediately while medical crews attended the scene.

An FIA statement confirmed that following evaluation by medical staff, Floersch was conscious and had subsequently been taken to Januario General Hospital for further observation. A subsequent update confirmed that she had suffered a spinal fracture and would undergo surgery on Monday.

Two photographers were also reported to have been injured in the incident as well as one marshall. Tsuboi was also taken to hospital as a precaution after complaining of lumbar pain, according to a statement from race organisers.

There was an hour-long stoppage before the race resumed as track workers repaired the catchfence.

Trackside videos were quick to hit YouTube after the incident. While not graphic as to any injuries, they're certainly very strong stuff, jarring and disturbing, so please be advised before clicking 'play'.

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter