The Formula One Group has released a statement in which it says that there are currently no "serious discussions" taking place with any new teams regarding an entry into F1 in 2021.
The release follows a buzz generated on Thursday by a Campos Racing- affiliated entity which announced plans to join the F1 grid from 2021.
The promoters of the project, led by Campos Racing CEO Salvatore Gandolfo, claim to have met on several occasions earlier this year with F1 boss Chase Carey and F1 director of motorsport Ross Brawn.
The prospective Spanish team also says it has secured the support of Monaco-based motorsport management company MIM.
Last month, a team called Panthera Team Asia also declared its interest in taking part in the F1 world championship from 2021.
However, Formula 1 has poured cold water on the existence - at least for now - of any serious contenders for a spot on the grid.
"Following publicity in recent days from several entities that have indicated their ambition to participate in the FIA Formula One World Championship from 2021, while Formula 1 appreciates their interest, we can confirm that there are no serious discussions with any persons or companies about the admission of a new team," read Formula 1's statement.
Campos Racing is expected to learn by the end of October whether its application for F1 shall be deemed credible or not by the FIA.