Robert Kubica will be back behind the wheel of an F1 car on Friday in Bahrain, with Alfa Romeo handing its reserve driver his fourth FP1 outing of the season.
Kubica will take over from Kimi Raikkonen in the opening session at Sakhir, an outing that could be the Pole's final official appearance in Formula 1 as the 35-year-old appears set to steer his motorsport career away from a back-up role in Grand Prix racing in the future.
Kubica previously enjoyed FP1 outings with Alfa in Austria, Hungary and at F1's 70th Grand Prix at Silverstone.
Kubica also raced this season for customer BMW outfit WRT in the German DTM series.
"I am very pleased to be back in the driving seat for the first time since August," said the winner of the 2008 Canadian Grand Prix.
"It may sound like a long time, but my season has been really busy with my simulator work at the factory and my DTM programme, so it actually felt like it went quite quickly.
"Now that my DTM season is over, I am keen to get back into my Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN role full time: there is still a lot to fight for and I am confident my work will make a positive contribution to the team’s efforts."
Alfa team principal Frederic Vasseur said: "We are all pleased to see Robert get back in the car for FP1.
"His contribution to the team has been important so far this season and to be able to get the most of his experience and skills here in Bahrain is going to help the team continue its current path of progression.
"Sakhir is a circuit he knows really well and this will really help our work this weekend."