Sebastian Vettel says he doesn't understand why F1 has decided to scrap the Monaco GP's traditional Friday rest day, joking that "things that are fun are dying".
Earlier this week, F1 boss Stefano Domenicali gave a heads up on next year's calendar of events, revealing that Monaco will be brought in line in 2022 with the sport's traditional three-day format.
The change means that the opening day of running in the Principality will no longer take place on Thursday as has always been the tradition at Monaco, with drivers enjoying a day off on Friday.
"It used to be fun to have a day off, not to go partying, but to have a bit more time to prepare," Vettel said. "It was sort of a Monaco thing."
The four-time world champion offered his own mischievous theory as to why Monaco's schedule has been changed.
"Since anyway, things that are fun are dying, probably that’s the reason why it shrinks to three days. It used to be fun so let’s not do it anymore," added the German, tongue in cheek.
"I don't know why you would change that in Monaco. I think it worked, it was a Monaco one-off.
"Whatever it is, we are going to adapt, and I don't think you're going to notice."
Fellow F1 world champion Fernando Alonso was also critical of the decision to ditch Friday's rest day.
"To be one day less there, I don’t think it’s good," commented the Alpine driver.
"Every team has a different programme, a different marketing schedule. It’s a weekend that is useful also for the sponsors and things like that.
"Obviously this year with COVID, we didn’t have that much marketing activities. But if hopefully next year is a little bit more normal, it was a day for the sponsors as well.
"So we will have I guess on Thursday more activities, and then from Friday, full focus on track."