Sergio Perez is expecting Force India to deliver to him a new contract by the time F1 ends its summer break, before the Belgian GP at Spa.
The Mexican is in his fourth season with the Silverstone-based outfit but is rumored to be on several rival teams' shortlist, including Ferrari.
Perez committed to Force India only late last year, in October, and is seeking an earlier closure of his 2018 contract this season.
"In terms of my future, I hope that once I come back to the next race after the summer break I can have a new contract," Perez said in Hungary, but without specifying if this meant extending his stay at Force India.
"That will be good, but you never know what will happen," Perez responded.
Perez has enjoyed remarkable consistency with Force India since last summer, scoring fifteen consecutive top-ten finishes between Germany last year and Spain this season.
Team boss Vijay Mallya would love nothing more than to see Perez remain with the pink squad, but ultimately it will be the Mexican who makes the call.
"I think the team has been moving forward every year, although this year we are achieving the same position as the previous year," Perez said on Thursday.
"We have consolidated that place and I see the team is moving forward.
"There is a lot more interest and sponsorship in the team, but it is not easy to make the next step with the big boys or big teams."
Asked in yesterday's media conference if he could suggest a new name for his team given its decision to change, Perez mischievously answered: "Force Checo!".
Perhaps a new contract will therefore just be a formality...