Haas confirmed on Wednesday that rookie Nikitia Mazepin will race for the US outfit next season, adding that the Russian's case involving a lewd video posted on social media had been "dealt with" internally.
Mazepin was hit with a wave of criticism and outrage recently after posting a video on Instagram in which the Russian was seen groping a young woman seated in the back seat of a car in which he was a passenger.
Mazepin subsequently deleted the video and published an apology, while the young women - a Spanish model by the name of Andrea D'Ival - gave her side of the story, insisting the scene was just "a silly way of joking".
However, when the internet kicked into gear, a wave of reactions called for Haas to severe ties with its new recruit. In the wake of the controversy, the team said it would deal with the matter internally.
On Wednesday, Haas published a statement in which it said that Mazepin's case had been dealt with.
"Haas F1 Team would like to reaffirm that Nikita Mazepin and Mick Schumacher will form its driver lineup for the 2021 FIA Formula 1 World Championship," read the US outfit's statement.
"As per the team’s previous statement regarding the actions of Nikita Mazepin (December 9) – this matter has now been dealt with internally and no further comment shall be made."
Earlier this week, speculation ramped up on social media regarding Haas' course of action when Mazepin apparently deleted his apology while Andrea D'Ival also posted new comments that were interpreted as negative towards the Russian. And the hashtag #WeSayNoToMazepin gained momentum on Twitter.
However, Haas has ruled, and Nikita Mazepin's case is now closed.