IndyCar's new kid on the block Esteban Gutierrez would welcome the opportunity to compete in the Indy 500 after closely following Fernando Alonso's exploits last Sunday.
The former Sauber and Haas driver is making his IndyCar debut this weekend in Detroit with Dale Coyne Racing, replacing the injured Sebastien Bourdais.
The Mexican, who raced in Formula E earlier this year, is on a new learning curve, both in terms of machinery and venues, but Gutierrez feels honored to join the IndyCar community.
"It’s an honor to represent Mexico now in IndyCar," said Gutierrez.
“It’s a pleasure to be here in IndyCar with this family. Everything came (together) very quickly.
"From the first time I received a call from Dale (Coyne), I said I didn’t think about it twice. I really wanted to take this chance and I feel very grateful for it, to have this opportunity.
"Dale Coyne is a great place to start, and I’m grateful to be there with them."
"My approach this weekend is to learn," added the 25-year-old.
"So, I’ll take it step by step very progressively, no mistakes, just enjoying the experience and the speed will come naturally."
Asked whether he would rather be in Monaco of Indianapolis when May 2018 comes around, the Mexican paused for a moment before delivering his response.
"That’s a really good question," he smiled.
"I would love to try the Indy 500. I watched the race and it’s a real exciting race. It’s pure driving, pure racing.
"It requires so many factors. I think what Fernando (Alonso) experienced, I know Fernando very well, so I could see the smile on his face all the time, so I could realize that it is something I have to try."