2016 Indianapolis 500 winner Alexander Rossi and ex-Toro Rosso driver Scott Speed, the last two F1 racers hailing from the US, have been announced for next year’s Race of Champions, which takes place in Miami on January 21-22.
The US pairing will join a star-studded field that already includes four-time F1 world champion Sebastian Vettel, 11-time grand prix winner Felipe Massa, two-time Indy 500 victor Juan-Pablo Montoya, Le Mans 24 Hours record-winner Tom Kristensen and world rally and rallycross champion Petter Solberg.
“I’m honoured to be invited to race in this year’s Race Of Champions,” said Rossi, who took five grand prix starts for Manor last year and served as the team’s reserve driver over the first half of the current F1 season.
“ROC is so well respected in motor sport, bringing together the best drivers from around the world and across every series.
“This international event is always ultra-competitive and I’m looking forward to the competition and the very first US race venue in Miami. It will also be great to race with my Andretti Autosport team-mate, Ryan Hunter-Reay. I can assure you, neither of us will be holding back.”
Since being dropped by Toro Rosso halfway through the 2007 F1 season, Speed has competed in a wide range of racing series, including NASCAR, A1GP, IndyCar and Formula E. Most recently, the 33-year-old has won two consecutive Red Bull Global Rallycross Championship titles.
“I am beyond excited to join the Race Of Champions,” Speed said. “Being selected to represent the USA on home soil is such an honour.
“I have always been a huge fan of this event: having so many greats of motor racing in one place is a very rare thing. I am sure that Miami will prove to be a fantastic host of such a prestigious event.”